Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pay and Play Frickley 27th Feb

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well going to Frickley Off Road near Doncaster this Sunday to get muddy. I may only do a mile or so, but that's my sort of fun. Hard fought wading and winching. Mmmmnnn. Lovely. Anyone in the area fancy coming, it's an open day. Sounds like a proper job, there are marshals etc.

Chris

Hi Chris, probably not this Sunday, but I would be interested at somepoint. Never been on a pay and play site. I would prefer some mud instead of big angry rocks.

FOR certainly sounds less damaging than most I have been to and is graded too. There is pootle about stuff and , Hmm, that was deep wasn't it sort of stuff.

Chris

have to say i would not ever go there in anything other than an SJ, horrible place

most only cost the fuel for one way, not many leave under there own steam

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe they don't go in a Landcruiser then, eh?

Going with some regulars for a look see really. Gets me out of the house.

Chris

ggod luck then is all i can say, just remember water and coal slag makes superb gringing paste and sets like concrete, Landcruiser or not

You clearly haven't experienced Lincomb mud!!

Thanks for the tip off, I shall be wary.

Chris

Neither is Lincomb - that was my point. Trust me I wasn't born yesterday. I get the idea.

Chris

No, of course not. I worked in steelworks and foundries for much of my life and I know what slag is. I have lived and breathed it. Steel, iron and salt slag for aluminium too. I have seen entire machines disappear in puddles of rust. You should see what a salt mine is like! I know what wet spoil can do to moving parts.

I have looked at the pics on their site and I can see what's it's like. The Lincomb mud (not mud) is pretty special too. I have a herb garden made from it. That took me a weekend with a chisel to get off the bottom of LB. It's like concrete.

Like I said, forewarned is forearmed. But I am going for a look. If I don't like it, I won't stay.

Chris

Well that was fantastic. What a great day, would have been better with some Cruiserbuddies though. The site is clearly in two halves. Taking J66p's advice and following my own intuition, I didn't go anywhere near the slag heap side. It looks as though it could cause some serious erosion to your dangly bits. But the other side is mud. Pure unadulterated thick, deep mud. A veritable sea of it. River runs, bomb holes, wooded sections.
Rescued the first chap before I left the car park. His bottom pulley had come off the crank. Second chap set off in front of me, I rescued him out a rut within 50 yards. This chap was in a ravine with a snapped cam belt.

By lunch time the site was quiet. They were all down at the bottom of the site, stuck in the woods! There was the whole range of vehicles really from shinies with tyres to custom bog monsters. Behaviour was, I'd say as good as I have seen for a whole. No Mad Max stuff at all. All very courteous. (Yorkshire folk tha see). There were some dumb things going on as usual though. One bloke had his steel cable around a tree trying to pull someone out. Duh, snatch block? Typically lots of short 90s with no winches, no lockers and no going anywhere.

Two chaps turned up in an X Trail with ATs on, looking keen. I talked them out of it. They would have been stuck in ten seconds and would have lost so much bodywork. I took them for a trip around in mine. They were impressed, hey I was impressed. I didn't get stuck once all day, although I was selective about what I tackled as I had no desire to be calling the big yellow truck, but I still managed to damage a mud flap and redesign my Gavplate on the T box. Hmm, might need to jack that square. Those narrow tyres are really incredible. I love them. I'd love to see LB on 255s in that lot.

Never actually managed to get water to go over the sunroof before now. Bit like driving a U boat. There must have been a bit of a dug out where people had been trying to climb up out of one section. Caught me by surprise. Would love to have seen it from outside. Certainly attracted some attention. They said that they'd not seen an 80 on there before and a lot of people pointed at it (is that a good thing). They certainly didn't mind being rescued that's for sure.

Truck no longer white when I'd finished, but they had jet washers there for an initial blast. Gave it an hour too when I got home.

There are no pics I'm afraid as I simply couldn't let go of the wheel most of the time. But its Holymoorside next week I hope so there maybe some from there. Karl, I'll let you know.

Chris

Sounds like a good day out, Chris - having fun AND not breaking anything is a sign of success in my books :mrgreen:

Can you show us what you did to your bashplate and tell us how it happened? It's a tough bit of kit, so it must have been quite a lot of force - good thing it happened to the sacrifical bit of steel and not your t/case!

Cheers,

Bit dark now Andrew and I have not trousers on. I will take a pic of course.

I think that it happened when I tried to get out of a river run. There was a really steep bank with a drop on the other side. I knew that I needed a bit of umph and figured that I'd either get the front wheel off the ground, push and be over OR I'd get centred on it. I decided to give it a little go first and pretty sure that I landed on the T plate. No real drama, but a hell of a weight focussed on the Gavplate. It's sort of part twisted and part bent. Looks fine and still perfectly serviceable. The sliders had some major major impacts and look completely unscathed. solidly over engineered you see!

The new winch bumper was really good. Tonnes of approach angle. Now for the pesky rear anchor of a bumper!!

C

Chris, I will not believe that you bent the Gavplate until you post some photographic evidence.

Believe it. Oh, it seems to be dark again. Just got home, out the door again to Glasgow tomorrow so won't get a pic until Thurs or Fri.

C

Back