Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or Diesel???

The LPG install needs looking at to see how tidy it is. It depends on the care and skill of the installer. Luckily the 80 series engine bay is spacious, so there is plenty of room to install the components needed!

I feel that a good working LPG system on an 80 gives good advantages, and adds to the usefulness and usability of the truck;

Much cheaper fuel price, normally about 60p/l
A much more modern ECU that can be remapped, jets can be changed and pressures increased to give more power.
A second fuel tank for increased range.
If you present the vehicle running on LPG at the MOT test, it is tested on LPG and will easily pass emissions.

However some disadvantages:

Fuel is not always found directly on route, some route planning is needed so you can keep the tank filled. (there is an app for this, its very easy)
You will want a larger tank, and it takes room in the vehicle, compromises such as carrying a spare wheel or less luggage room may have to be made, slight weight and payload penalty.
You may lose slightly on fuel economy, perhaps up to 10% and you have to factor in valve lubricant too which is quite expensive.
You have an increased maintenance cost, (there are 2 filters in the gas line, you need to check for leaks with leak detector spray, you need to keep an eye on the dosing rate of the valve saver lubricant, top up and adjust)
Even though you don't have to worry about the emissions test, you still need your 1FZ-FE running perfectly to keep the fuel efficiency. so you have to get it put on the emissions tester and do any Lambda probe repairs etc. anyway.

The big worry is the risk of increased valve seat wear. However,

If you have a working valve lubrication system this shouldn't be a problem.
It takes many, many miles to wear the valve seats, and you will very quickly save enough money in fuel to offset any repair cost anyway, plus you can replace the headgasket at the same time.
The engine needs the valve clearances checked and set anyway, this is very rarely done.
You could check the valve seats before buying a truck by doing a cylinder leak down test.
Toyota put the 1FZ-E in a forklift truck, running on LPG.

If you want the truck for serious overlanding, diesel wins hands down. You can carry more fuel, it uses it more efficiently, more water resistant, you can use varied quality of diesel (or kerosene, or heavy oil), more torque, better engine braking...

Personally I prefer a petrol 80, its has pretty quick acceleration, even when heavily laden. Sounds great. Has the auto gearbox which I prefer and makes a nicer drive.

I don't use mine for serious overlanding, just towing a trailer, cruising down to the south of france loaded with camping gear, a bit of green laning, driving to work, taking 8 people places at a time. Driving through snow or bad weather. That sort of thing.

Try both petrol and diesel, but don't rule out a tidy truck just because it has LPG!

Last edited:
The LPG install needs looking at to see how tidy it is. It depends on the care and skill of the installer. Luckily the 80 series engine bay is spacious, so there is plenty of room to install the components needed!

I feel that a good working LPG system on an 80 gives good advantages, and adds to the usefulness and usability of the truck;

Much cheaper fuel price, normally about 60p/l
A much more modern ECU that can be remapped, jets can be changed and pressures increased to give more power.
A second fuel tank for increased range.
If you present the vehicle running on LPG at the MOT test, it is tested on LPG and will easily pass emissions.

However some disadvantages:

Fuel is not always found directly on route, some route planning is needed so you can keep the tank filled. (there is an app for this, its very easy)
You will want a larger tank, and it takes room in the vehicle, compromises such as carrying a spare wheel or less luggage room may have to be made, slight weight and payload penalty.
You may lose slightly on fuel economy, perhaps up to 10% and you have to factor in valve lubricant too which is quite expensive.
You have an increased maintenance cost, (there are 2 filters in the gas line, you need to check for leaks with leak detector spray, you need to keep an eye on the dosing rate of the valve saver lubricant, top up and adjust)
Even though you don't have to worry about the emissions test, you still need your 1FZ-FE running perfectly to keep the fuel efficiency. so you have to get it put on the emissions tester and do any Lambda probe repairs etc. anyway.

The big worry is the risk of increased valve seat wear. However,

If you have a working valve lubrication system this shouldn't be a problem.
It takes many, many miles to wear the valve seats, and you will very quickly save enough money in fuel to offset any repair cost anyway, plus you can replace the headgasket at the same time.
The engine needs the valve clearances checked and set anyway, this is very rarely done.
You could check the valve seats before buying a truck by doing a cylinder leak down test.
Toyota put the 1FZ-E in a forklift truck, running on LPG.

Personally I prefer a petrol 80, its has pretty quick acceleration, even when heavily laden. Sounds great. Has the auto gearbox which I prefer and makes a nicer drive.

Try both petrol and diesel, but don't rule out a tidy truck just because it has LPG!

Wowzers, thanks for all the info!

That's a good slice of advice and will be very helpful when deciding on a truck!

I'm reluctantly thinking of selling mine [but would rather not!] I am in Suffolk though so if you'd like to come and have a look at where they get tatty etc. You'd be very welcome. Would have to do the distancing thing though.
1995 VX Petrol auto, 2" lift, winch and LPG.

I'm reluctantly thinking of selling mine [but would rather not!] I am in Suffolk though so if you'd like to come and have a look at where they get tatty etc. You'd be very welcome. Would have to do the distancing thing though.
1995 VX Petrol auto, 2" lift, winch and LPG.

Do you have a few pics might be interested I've got a 100 series I'm also interested in

To be honest I reckon a 100 would suit you better - as has been mentioned the "perfect" 80 don't exist. A 100 will of course be newer, apparently far more refined [never driven one myself] and less rusty! Anyway, this is mine...
WP_002134.jpg

Where in suffolk are you mate? Could I have a few more details?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To be honest I reckon a 100 would suit you better - as has been mentioned the "perfect" 80 don't exist. A 100 will of course be newer, apparently far more refined [never driven one myself] and less rusty! Anyway, this is mine...
View attachment 165374
Less rusty?

I went looking at 100s with my old man a few years back. For him.
I was shocked at the condition underneath on the half dozen we looked at.
Mine isn't great underneath, but was a lot better than this motley crew that had 6-7 years on my 80.

Last year he put a new Sump, fuel tank and filler neck on due to rot. He also tore all of the AHC out.

Where in suffolk are you mate? Could I have a few more details?
I'm near Diss. As I said I'm reluctant to sell it but you're welcome to have a look. 186,000 miles, usual VX stuff, leather etc. It's a working truck so not shiny perfect, but a good solid usable motor for a running restoration.

That one on eBay looks fairly straight up:
1) UK supplied car (standard shape front plate, rear fog lights in the tailgate)
2) xnnnxAN is a Reading registration plate, and it still has the original dealer sticker in the rear window (sad thing to pick up on, but it was one of the first things I saw (YAN) having grown up near Reading)
so some of the story could be backed up by that.

HOWEVER:
1) Single plug trailer electrics
2) 2 bolt tow bar
Leads me to suspect it's been in the horsey world/farm world (if Reading based, I'd go horsey rather than Farm world)

toyota landcruiser amazon gx manual | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] This looked pretty decent, Very clean and tidy, MOT looked impressive up until 2016, Then the usual pops up to 2020,..... AND! Its a good old Diesel Manual,Probably Non Active, With good old coils and springs,...He's open to offers (He's just got back to me and yes it is good old coils and springs)

Last edited:
That looks a good thing for the money Higgy. That said, I test drove a VX manual once, it was great till you hit traffic and the stop start. Then it was a PITA. Now a GX auto, thats another matter.

Big ass luxury car? Auto every time. And I drive a manual!!! 100 manuals are rare for a reason. The auto is such a better option.

Would be nice if auto, but more concerned about excessive rust at the moment even if they are 20+ years old lol

That looks a good thing for the money Higgy. That said, I test drove a VX manual once, it was great till you hit traffic and the stop start. Then it was a PITA. Now a GX auto, thats another matter.
That's what my 100 is Andy. Gx auto with leather. Lovely machine for a long journey.

I have over the years come to like driving automatics, the design and gear spacing/amount/reliability has improved, but when it comes to off roading in isolated areas I prefer the manual.

Regards

Dave

Back