Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or Diesel???

If you go to the search function and simply type in the word Calendar, your prayers will be answered. We do one every year. There's all the pics going back to 2104 in there.

My ones
A78DA9F7-B5F5-46B5-9182-F6E57D412E31.jpeg
3901E7AA-99A7-4287-BB7B-4579B4F72E1C.jpeg
22A743CC-F6AC-47B6-8519-790FB35033BE_1_105_c.jpeg

I do 2.5 to 3k miles year in mine, that's general use, laning trips etc. I'm only using for work currently as no traffic and normally use my bike.

I've owned it 7 and a bit years and now has 91k miles. I run 98octane fuel (Tesco momentum99 is a favourite). Have a unichip which is mapped for it.
With buying it, modifying it, changing some mods, maintaining, breaking it, damaging it then fixing it, I've prob spent £10 to £12k or so on it. Plus fuel. I do my own work and where I haven't I've been cashing in favours.

Been in deep water many times, had great fun on lanes and camping etc.

When I can resist the urge to floor it (when the wife is in the passenger seat) on a good run 20 mpg is achievable 60 to 65mph, generally 15 to 18mpg is my average with mixed driving

Round town stop start can kill mpg running 35's so it's a lot of tyre to get rolling all the time. Other problem is it sounds great setting off! If can reign it in and set off steady etc not too bad round town.

As Chris says when you do the maths a petrol isn't all that bad, I could have spent on a standard diesel what I've spent on mine all in. I got a bargain when bought it.

This is mine
IMG_20180727_175402_533.jpg

I do 2.5 to 3k miles year in mine, that's general use, laning trips etc. I'm only using for work currently as no traffic and normally use my bike.

I've owned it 7 and a bit years and now has 91k miles. I run 98octane fuel (Tesco momentum99 is a favourite). Have a unichip which is mapped for it.
With buying it, modifying it, changing some mods, maintaining, breaking it, damaging it then fixing it, I've prob spent £10 to £12k or so on it. Plus fuel. I do my own work and where I haven't I've been cashing in favours.

Been in deep water many times, had great fun on lanes and camping etc.

When I can resist the urge to floor it (when the wife is in the passenger seat) on a good run 20 mpg is achievable 60 to 65mph, generally 15 to 18mpg is my average with mixed driving

Round town stop start can kill mpg running 35's so it's a lot of tyre to get rolling all the time. Other problem is it sounds great setting off! If can reign it in and set off steady etc not too bad round town.

As Chris says when you do the maths a petrol isn't all that bad, I could have spent on a standard diesel what I've spent on mine all in. I got a bargain when bought it.

This is mine
View attachment 165192
Stunning mate, you guys all have stunning 80's can't wait to get mine!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
DSCF9960.JPG
DSCF9961.JPG
This is the one parked up at Sandwich, Its been over a month now i think. Looks a decent Truck.. Made a few enquiries, no one seems to know where it came from.. Ah! well... Mirrors folded in, Hasn't moved in a while

Looks good, you can check online and get basic info like tax and not.

Its all Taxed and MOT'd to March 2021...... Best leave it be, just in case owner is on here and and doesn't like me prying.. Im just interested thats all. Nice Truck.. If its still there in a month or so Il start robbing bits off it:lol:... joke

You might hear a squeak of a 3" diesel exhaust in this

No idea why the vid won't work for you Gary i was browsing my computer pics and came across it so remembering this thread uploaded from computer in the usual way ?

What about the Troopy..... Classic within Budget... I just Edited the above

Again nice but wouldn't give me any £££ after buying for mods

In a diesel doing 19 mpg (I'd kill for that. I've had as little as 15 mpg but it hovers around 18 mpg. With current pump prices taken as an average from the RAC, this would cost you £2746. In a petrol doing 11 mpg (bear with me) the same mileage would cost £4498 at the pump. That's a difference of £1752.

Chris you have a leak! :astonished:

Seriously though, I get 28-31 mpg when not loaded up, but drops to about 25 mpg when kitted for off roading. So to qualify, mine is stock, no fuel pump adjustments although the cold start device was removed a few years back, stock wheel and tyre sizes and driven (most of the time) with restraint, I also live in an area where a traffic jam is all but unknown, so am moving most of the time.

Very difficult to compare with so many variables.

regards

Dave

No I don't have a leak Dave. But it does weigh a lot. I knew someone would come back with great MPG figures. When mine was totally stock, like factory spec, I did some trials and clearly it was better then. But in full overland spec, nah, not a chance any more. Remember that mine isn't a daily drive either. It doesn't do town traffic.

if you're getting 25mpg, which I do believe just to be clear, then I'd suggest that you're doing very well indeed. Mine never gets to be 'unloaded' RTT, twin tanks, triple batteries, steel front and rear bumpers, 2.5m rack, drawers, cargo barrier, swing out etc etc and running 35 mud terrains. If all the 80s I knew did that then there'd be no place for petrols at all. When we did Russia, I was the only 24v manual. I got around 17 or so and the 3 12v autos were all around 21 mpg and that's over 4000 miles as an average.

Now I have done my wheel bearings and my valve clearances since then but the truck hasn't turned a wheel since so I don't know if it's any better.

Incidentally, all my travel on the continent has given much better mpg with foreign fuel. The stuff in our pumps has had all the goodness taken out. Just like the wine we get sent!

I think that is my point Chris we are not comparing apples with apples, I would have to be doing something very crazy to not approach 30 on a run, yes when loaded up mine does drop to 25, nowadays the 80 is carrying the roof rack whilst running around and I have just prepped up for an off road trip with @Rodger which has of course been canned. I must say I am impressed by the 80 since the day I bought it, and the great MPG from the diesel is just one of the reasons.

I did put mine on a weighbridge rear/front/overall last year and it was IIRC close on 3.5 tons, so unsure how that compares with yours?

regards

Dave

Back