Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or Diesel???

Imotepify

Country Flag
england
Hi guys, I'm looking for an 80 at the moment and can't decide on Petrol or Diesel just wondering if you have any advice or real world comparison between the two (other than just slightly better economy)???

Has anyone got video or links of how the 4.5 sounds?

Also if you see any good 80's for sale let me know

Thanks in advance, Karl

The petrol is more "fun" but because of the mileage I want to do in my 80 I couldn't take the fuel economy penalty. The petrol 80's are cheaper to buy because of this but as soon as you do "some" miles the costs of petrol soon removes this advantage. Also, the petrol is less reliable if you intend to do water crossing etc because of the electrics (you can waterproof them etc) but the diesel is known for its reliability and bulletproofness

But service intervals are longer on the petrol, it doesn't have an expensive diesel pump, doesn't need money spending on it to give it more power ...and in general they are cheaper with less miles on them.

In short - and it's been debated many times over, buy the best 80 that you can find. If it's a petrol, meh live with it. Driven sensibly the petrol isn't that far behind the diesel in truth. OK if there were two perfect, identical 80's next to each other which would I buy? The diesel. But life's not that simple.

People come on here saying "I want a green, under 80k miles, GS with factory AC, 12v manual with sliding rear windows, FSH in perfect condition, for £3500. Any one got one?" Err, no. If you set limits on what you want, you will struggle. If you set the parameters of good body, tidy interior and little rust underneath that will be enough to be a challenge to begin with. Forget miles, forget service history, forget MOTs, forget number of owners. Overall condition and your budget are the two main considerations. If you absolutely MUST have an auto say, or absolutely don't want white then OK, but don't be closed to anything. Remember the most important thing is that what ever you finally get, it's a Landcruiser and regardless of whether it's petrol, diesel, manual or auto, it's still one of the best vehicles ever made.

Good advice guys, I'm not set on anything other than rust being minimal lol budget is around £11,000 but need money for mods and maintenance. Happy for it being already prepared as long as it's been done correctly lol

For 7k you can get an OK/good 80 diesel, surprisingly you can normally buy at 80 that's had loads of mods done (bullbar, suspension lift etc etc) for less than you can buy a stock one.

Having owned one (Diesel) now for 15years, if I was looking for one today, with the mileage I do I would probably edge towards a petrol but I wouldn’t consider selling the one I have for that reason.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having owned one (Diesel) now for 15years, if I was looking for one today, with the mileage I do I would probably edge towards a petrol but I wouldn’t consider selling the one I have for that reason.
:text-+1:

I love my petrol 80, so why I got this was as it is 100% rust free. The 13MPG is it's downside but I only get 17 to 18 out of my 78 1HZ, so my advice would be buy the best one you can afford and find. On a side note my petrol was just as expensive as a diesel

Steve makes a good point. If you are looking for an vehicle to overland with, simply the best deal is to buy on that that's already been built and used for that purpose. But people simply turn them down.
Here's the scenario. Someone is selling a used overlander. They want £10k for it. It doesn't sell. So, they strip all of the kit off it, return it to pretty much stock and advertise it for £7k. Immediately a buyer rocks up and wants it. Then, they spy the pile of kit. Roof rack, bumper, tank, fridge, awning etc etc. Ohh they say, that's just what I am looking for. No problem says the seller, you can have that lot for £3k. Bargain shouts the buyer - SOLD.

Tell me I'm wrong. I dare you :eusa-snooty:

Lots of good advice guys, where is the most common place for these to rust and have you spotted any good ones for sale

Take the rear light clusters out and have a look in there, often not a pretty sight

Thanks fella, just wish some were for sale near me, dont mind travelling for the right one but nothing worse than driving for half a day and when you get there the seller hasn't been honest

Yea, I had to view 5 or 6 before I found one with rust that was easily fixable for the price I wanted to pay.

Sounds about right lol can't even travel at the moment and most wont go outside and take a few pics, they just say come look for yourself it's a 5 hour drive I'll find one in the end but would be good if we had it now as have loads of time on my hands.

Steve makes a good point. If you are looking for an vehicle to overland with, simply the best deal is to buy on that that's already been built and used for that purpose. But people simply turn them down.
Here's the scenario. Someone is selling a used overlander. They want £10k for it. It doesn't sell. So, they strip all of the kit off it, return it to pretty much stock and advertise it for £7k. Immediately a buyer rocks up and wants it. Then, they spy the pile of kit. Roof rack, bumper, tank, fridge, awning etc etc. Ohh they say, that's just what I am looking for. No problem says the seller, you can have that lot for £3k. Bargain shouts the buyer - SOLD.

Tell me I'm wrong. I dare you :eusa-snooty:
I'm wrong, I'm telling you. :laughing-rolling:

Hi guys, I'm looking for an 80 at the moment and can't decide on Petrol or Diesel just wondering if you have any advice or real world comparison between the two (other than just slightly better economy)???

Has anyone got video or links of how the 4.5 sounds?

Also if you see any good 80's for sale let me know

Thanks in advance, Karl
Hi Karl,

Have you had a look in 'classified forum' in 'Land Cruiser Club' ?........'80 for sale' by @Liam T

Oops, I see you have. :confusion-scratchh: :eusa-doh:

Looks like a good one though.

Last edited by a moderator:
How and where you intend to drive plays a part in it , i found a 6L v8 Hummer quite reasonable on fuel for motorways but around town the fuel gauge moved faster than clock hands , not good if you want a daily driver .

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon 80 Series VX Limited 8 Seater High Spec | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]... This ones been on ebay for a while.... There are quite a few Petrol and Diesel on ebay at the moment with prices from one end of the scale to the other.... I would go for a Diesel every time.... JMO... Good luck with the Hunting.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-land-cruiser-80-vx-limited-99-336/153896044042 This ones half the price of the one above...Just shows the difference in price for Petrols...

Last edited:
Back