Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or Diesel???

Attachments

• 20190714_163747-762x456.jpg
    20190714_163747-762x456.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 31
Yep that's a familiar sound. Very similar to mine. Smiles per gallon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There’s a guy that comes to camp site at Loch Lomond fairly regularly with a V8 100 series that sounds to die for, a lovely half muffled burble. It only has one tail pipe but I’ve no idea if it‘s a new system or just the original with a box or two removed. Certainly doesn’t sound standard, they’re normally whisper quiet.

Changing the subject just a 'Teeny' bit.. There is a really nice 80 petrol, With lift kit and all the works. Parked at the Town Quay car park in my local Town, (Sandwich) its been in the same spot for quite a while, I keep looking out for the owner, Dont know if its broke down/ Abandoned.... or just someone local... Anybody have any Ideas?

Another thing to consider with the petrol, if its had lpg fitted make sure has a decent kit. If doesn't have an oil/lube system it can prematurely wear the valve seats.

I purposely looked for no lpg as don't like the stuff anyway.

Not to keen on lpg and don't know anything about them so gonna stay clear

I am a diesel owner and have had mine for a little over ten years and I love it! I had a diesel Discovery before this and modded it for competition and that was also great but maintenance for leaks and other odds and ends pushed me to the 80.

There is a lot to say for the diesel IMO, they need the minimum to run right and that is the diesel pump and injectors, the petrol versions need lots of 'bit's and pieces' to make the orchestra sing. Being a mechanic I have the advantage of doing my own maintenance but what maintenance, the car is so damn reliable! I was always about the performance when younger but now want reliability and the diesel 80 has it. Change the engine oil often and use mainstream fuel stations job done.

Having said all that without doubt condition is the most important thing, with the first 80 hitting the streets back in 1990 rust has to be a deciding factor, mechanical parts are easier to repair/replace than doing rust repairs properly.

Think of your future plans for the vehicle if you need to do lots of long journeys the extra 10 MPG from the diesel may be a deciding factor? If you plan on plenty of off roading trips to Africa for example finding petrol can be an issue. Also mentioned earlier, use in deep water is preferable in the diesel, with the minimum of mods old style diesels run perfectly well under water!

I have not owned a car in the UK for many years, so I am unsure if the road tax for the diesel versus petrol is a significant factor and may take the edge of the diesels fuel advantage? Road tax for my 80 last year was circa 250 euros so with parity about 250 GB pounds? Of course mine is over 25 years old so there is no longer road tax to pay here in Spain.

Regards

Dave

I've had a couple of Cherokees with LPG and to be honest performance was same. Kept an underslung 25L petrol tank as reserve with LPG in spare tyre well, problem comes when you can't find anywhere to refuel. 25L doesn't go far when your burning 16-18mpg! It does feel good to fill up with £45 compared to £90 standard. Remember there's also LPG annual servicing costs as well.

The problem with simple maths is that, well it's simple. But here's some maths on petrol v diesel. All these figures are subject to variables of course and people will always dispute them, but they're intended as a comparison.

Let's take 10k PA miles as a bench mark. I don't do 10k in my 80 for sure.

In a diesel doing 19 mpg (I'd kill for that. I've had as little as 15 mpg but it hovers around 18 mpg. With current pump prices taken as an average from the RAC, this would cost you £2746. In a petrol doing 11 mpg (bear with me) the same mileage would cost £4498 at the pump. That's a difference of £1752.

Now if we could squeeze 13 mpg out of the petrol and we know more is possible, then that difference comes down to just over £1000 on 10k miles. If you only get 17 from your diesel and 16 from your petrol, well!!!!!! I've driven the petrol version and it's sublime. But in order to get decent mpg you do have to stay off the loud pedal which isn't easy, trust me.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that running a petrol is cheaper or even cheap. But it's not as horrific as you might think. Given that you could find one cheaper than a diesel, lower miles, fewer owners, better condition etc then it has to be a possibility. I know people who have bought cheap 80's (£3500 ish) and spent more than that on parts and labour to get them into half reasonable condition.

The UK has some of the highest fuel prices around. Most of mainland Europe is pretty similar, but once you get out of the really civilised but - where you will want to be going on your travels, it gets pretty cheap. In Russia we were paying just over 40p L for diesel.

And I dont ever do over 5,000 miles a year In my car as walk or bike to work most of the time.

I'm more concerned with finding a good condition 80 than the fuel tbh but I'm liking the sound the petrol makes lol

Now that bloody load pedal is a problem, it is hard not to just give it the beans beleave me, I have stopped checking the MPG now just fill her up and go

Have you guys got any pics of your 80's for inspiration that you would post here?

Back