Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Phwoar, what a lovely rack

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well it's been a busy evening. African Outback rack arrived this morning, damaged. So spent a happy couple of hours sticking it all together. It suits having the tent sideways instead of off the back although I preferred it the other way. Got the awning on too. Which I only ordered as I thought someone might want to buy it. It's only £100 if bought at the time. Will NOT be parting with it now. It's bwwilliant. I didn't peg everything out tight, so the tent looks a bit wrinkly. That soon irons out. I didn't fit the mudwall/groundsheet bit as I needed a gin by that time

Here we go. Well there's nothing on the telly

P1013580.jpg

P1013579.jpg

P1013583.jpg

P1013584.jpg

P1013586.jpg

P1013589.jpg

P1013588.jpg

P1013592.jpg

Chris

Chris, have you thought about moving the rack forwards and the tent backwards to give yourself more loadspace? You might need to turn the C channels the other way on the tent so it will overhang the rack (I can't see which way you have them at the moment) but it looks like you could get another good foot of rack out front. Setup looks awesome and the extension bit looks huge. I need to get me one of those side awnings..

Hi Jim, for several reasons that aren't worth explaining now, I can't really do that. I would have to make all sorts of new bracket bits and what ever. The slats are too wide to mount the channel feet on if you go 90 degrees on. The c channel is sitting in between the long slats at the moment which keeps the whole thing lower too. Not really bothered about lots of room up top as the furthest I'm going is Wiltshire! And I have a trailer too.

I have to give it a go and see how it pans out. I need to make some spacers for the awning to get it away from the side of the tent. Tricky getting the zip closed. But as I am off to Scotland in it tomorrow, I shall have to go as it is.

There are little things that dictate where bits have to go. I have had it several ways on and this is the best so far. You have to slide the cover and the shower tent into a slot and that means being able to get your fingers in. I had thought about ditching the c channel and putting it flat onto the rack. That may still be an option. I think getting another foot is unlikely. The tend base needs to be supported and there is no way to do that if it overhangs. The c channel on its own does not have that strength. It bends.

I shall mull it over this weekend when I am up there looking out over our estate.

Chris

Fairy nuff. Have a great time mate, all I can say is I wish I was in your shoes this week! Well jealous..

The rack looks great and your whole rig is looking mighty fine, Chris! Looks like you've got it all pulled together in time for your sortie to Scotland! :auto-layrubber:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats a seriously impressive camping setup Chris :thumbup: Looks like I could get my rabble into a setup like that :cool:

Looking very nice - one last test for it though - is it midge proof!
at least you will be well above the deer ticks

Andy, all of it has midge screens. Once you get the bottom mudwall into the shower tent, it's pretty well sealed top to bottom. The roof section has an outer door too. The bottom tent has outer covers, inner covers and midge screen in between. I know they are determined little buggers but this is about as good as it gets. Plus I have a 12v insectecutor like they have in kitchens.

We camp on the top of a hill where there is a steady SW breeze. We go no midges there at all. Great views too.

Chris

Looking really well set up there Chris, no slumming it on the ground any more for you :D

Jon, do you think that I'll get hit with planning permission? It's like a small town. You can get sides for the awning too. Have to say that the sliders are fantastic for standing on. No issues at all. I jacked the front up on the High Lift the other day. They flex a little but it got the wheel off the ground for sure.

Very tempted to get the sides for the awning. There are four of us. OK, don't need all of that just for me, but imagine if it's all wet and nasty, getting kids up, putting breakfast on etc, my Missus is going to get soaked.

C

Looks great Chris :) I'm picking mine up on the weekend and although only being fitted in October, I'll post some pics on this thread showing her off. I got the Standard size Terrain tent adn shower curtain like chris' fyi..
£695 all in if you order from them with £40 postage if you live up north..

Enjoy Scotland! :thumbup:

Thanks buddy.

Will do I'm sure. I have beer and a rifle. What more could a man ask for. Oh, hang on - just thought of something else....

C

Chris said:
Jon, do you think that I'll get hit with planning permission? It's like a small town. You can get sides for the awning too. Have to say that the sliders are fantastic for standing on. No issues at all. I jacked the front up on the High Lift the other day. They flex a little but it got the wheel off the ground for sure.

Very tempted to get the sides for the awning. There are four of us. OK, don't need all of that just for me, but imagine if it's all wet and nasty, getting kids up, putting breakfast on etc, my Missus is going to get soaked.

C

The sliders are bound to flex a bit, they're made of bendy mild steel :lol:

The awning looks good and especially at that price. I like my Fox wing because it covers the rear as well and I think an enterprising person could convert the side panels so they joined up to fully enclose it.

Chris said:
Thanks buddy.

Will do I'm sure. I have beer and a rifle. What more could a man ask for. Oh, hang on - just thought of something else....

C

With those two you should be able to demand ANYTHING else you want:lol: :whistle: :lol: :shhh:

Looks good, Chris....

What was damaged on the rack? Unusual to get any damage, but it came a long way I s'pose - or was it the delivery boyos that damaged it d'you think? I only ask because the packaging around my roof-rack was ripped to shreds, and I know that APB packed it up securely ...

Have fun with it!

Damaged in the back of the delivery van it would appear. Packaging was rubbish. Thin card box with rack inside. That's all. A chip out of the coating down to the metal and some scrapes. TBR were very good about it.

Off in a couple of hours. Yippee.

C

Matt Wright said:
Looks great Chris :) I'm picking mine up on the weekend and although only being fitted in October, I'll post some pics on this thread showing her off. I got the Standard size Terrain tent adn shower curtain like chris' fyi..
£695 all in if you order from them with £40 postage if you live up north..

Enjoy Scotland! :thumbup:

Hi Matt,

Have you got a web address for the 'Terrain' tent ?

Graham

Thanks Matt,

That's a fair old trek for me, right down to the other end of the country.
Probably cost me 100.00 in fuel, so I may go for the 45.00 delivery.

I think I like the 2.4M x 1,4M standard, as opposed to the bigger 2,8M x 1,4M
Also its a whole lot cheaper.

Still, it does look great value.

Graham

Back