Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Play in the steering column

stu-pid

Ive got a bit of a clonk in my steering which seems to coming from some play inside the steering column, laying in the footwell holding the steering rod as it goes through the bulkhead i can turn the steering wheel freely about 10mm in either direction without the steering rod moving and theres a little clonk as it stops in either direction.
It looks like it gonna be a bit of a pain to get to the column because i think im gonna have to take the steering wheel off to get the plastic trim around the column off.
Does anyone know if its normal to have play there and if its adjustable?
Stu

It's probably your steering rack bushes gone/worn. This happened with me and I replaced them with some upgraded polyurethane bushes. If that is your problem, give me a PM, I have a spare bush set, as I bought two from America.

No the rack bushings have already been done, the play is between the steering wheel & the rack. Ill try and get the wheel off tomorrow so i can get a look at the column, the play seems to be within the height adjustment part of the steering column, i presume theres some sort of UJ type joint in there, hopefully its adjustable.

Found the culprit, the collapsible part of the steering rod, some sort of safety feature to stop it hitting you in the chest in an accident, has developed some play, only very slight but by the time its at the steering wheel its quite noticeable.
Managed to shim out with very thin piece of steel (temporarily until i can get a replacement) which fixed the problem, no play at all now.
We'll have to wait and see how much mr T wants for the replacement, i might be making a more permanent repair on it yet!

Back