Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poor windscreen wash - may not be the pump

Knucklehead

Hi all,

I had noticed that the force of the windscreen wash was steadily getting worse over time to were it barely made it over the blades.

Thought maybe the pump was on its way out but went for the cheapest option first.
Pulled the jet nozzles apart, soaked in vinegar and blasted with air. Nothing nasty came out and made no improvement when fitted them back.

Fitted a couple of new ones before going down the pump route and all is good again.:dance:

Anyhow, part number for new nozzles for my '93 - 85381-30020-C1 in case anybody needs it.

Cheers,
Dave.

I have found that the piping get really hard where it runs along the bonnet. There are a couple of angles it needs to go through to transition between the long run and the nozzle connector. This restricts the flow. I recently chopped that out and put in a new bit and wow what a difference. But it tricky not to kink the toob, I would preferably want some rubber / silicone tube instead. Not sure on the ID. Is it 4mm?

Unfortunately Chris I have the sound/heat bonnet pad thingy clipped back on or would check the tube size.
Can't seem to get those PITA clips out without busting them.

The barb on the nozzle is about 6mm so reckon 4mm would be a good fit.

Dave.

I've recently removed the one-way 90 degree angle valve attached to the bonnet, and that improved flow, but there's still lots of room for improvement.

The internal diameter of those connectors and angle pieces does look tiny compared with the toob runs. I'm going to investigate some alternatives there.

I faffed around with mine ages ago, cleaning out pipes, nozzles connectors etc which made them slightly better. Playing a hunch I then bought a generic inline washer pump very cheap and mounted it on the bulkhead to 'assist' the OE reservoir mounted pump. Result, jet wash style windscreen washers!

I faffed around with mine ages ago, cleaning out pipes, nozzles connectors etc which made them slightly better. Playing a hunch I then bought a generic inline washer pump very cheap and mounted it on the bulkhead to 'assist' the OE reservoir mounted pump. Result, jet wash style windscreen washers!

Meaning running both pumps off the same power supply TP, or did you abandon the OEM pump?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I left the OEM pump in situ and just connected the bulkhead mounted pimp to the same power feed. I guess it's more of a 'workaround' than a fix but whatever, it works and it's cheap.

It is possible to remove the eyeballs out of the washer nozzle assy and pop them back in. Lots of debris in mine so I fitted an in line nylon petrol filter just on the bulkhead area. Surprising how much stuff it has caught.

I fitted a second pump to the off roader. Yes it made a huge difference.

Just been and measured the nozzle barbs and came to the conclusion the 5mm would be best. Ordered some soft silicone vacuum hose from e blag. Actually said ideal for washer jet supply!

Back