Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

portable press

Zeusv8

I need to change my lower ball joints when I convert my suspension and really do not want to take the wishbones off! Has anyone ever hired a press to do this? I can only see block splitter variety which might be a bit crude!!
T.I.A,James

I got this from ebay, cost me £60 + a bit of carriage.

KGrHqVh0E1LP7PD7QBNZRQ1KnoQ_12.jpg

Yeah I tried option number two there and it cost me another two balljoints!! :doh:
I dont really want to buy something I will only use once or twice but it looks a decent kit!

Then I'm glad you tried it before I suggested it... :whistle:

I had some trouble getting mine off and broke 3 tools before taking it to a guy who just hit the collar REALLY hard with a big hammer and it popped right off. When it came time to do the other side I fetched my bfh and did it myself. You must have hit them REALLY REALLY hard to break them! :shock:

Getting them off was a piece o cake! Getting the new ones in proved a bit tricky with a BFH! Mashed threads,knuckles busted and a serious pile of swearing!! So this time I'll do it the right way! :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To change the lower ball joints takes a bit of force, yes.
It's hard to do with the A-arm still in place. To get the old one out can be done with a bfh, but to get the new one in requires a LOT of force. The C-clamp kit shown in post 2 doesn't look like it would be strong enough. I would say a 10 ton press would be a minimum, maybe with a bit of bfh-help in addition.

Not to be confused with separating the lower ball joint and the knuckle, which is normally easy with a bfh, even with a normal hammer.

uHu said:
To change the lower ball joints takes a bit of force, yes.
It's hard to do with the A-arm still in place. To get the old one out can be done with a bfh, but to get the new one in requires a LOT of force. The C-clamp kit shown in post 2 doesn't look like it would be strong enough. I would say a 10 ton press would be a minimum, maybe with a bit of bfh-help in addition.

Not to be confused with separating the lower ball joint and the knuckle, which is normally easy with a bfh, even with a normal hammer.
I got my local garage to do the bottom one, but used the tool to do the top one, worked very well with just a tap from a BFH to get it moving, also pressed in the new one easily, only problem was clearance from the inner wing.

andyw said:
I got my local garage to do the bottom one, but used the tool to do the top one, worked very well with just a tap from a BFH to get it moving, also pressed in the new one easily, only problem was clearance from the inner wing.
Do you know what tool they used for the lower ball?
Would like to be better prepared for the next time.

That kit you used for the upper ball, what is it called? Specs? Source? etc.

uHu said:
andyw said:
Do you know what tool they used for the lower ball?
Would like to be better prepared for the next time.

That kit you used for the upper ball, what is it called? Specs? Source? etc.

The ball joint kit is this http://www.manchestertools.co.uk/neilse ... 34196.html.
http://www.clarkebay.co.uk/ball-joint-r ... -439-p.asp

The bottom one was done with a 10ton press, but I'm sure it could be done with the kit.

Also see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVluVuiFnlw

Back