Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pouring from a Jerrycan - spout advice?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Title says it all really. In the past whenever I used the supplied MOD spout for a Jerrycan as much fuel landed up on my shoes as down the tank. Yes the nozzle had a good seal/gasket.

I remember seeing funnels with flexi pipe but IIRC they are quite large.

Has anyone any other recommendations or advice please? I may have to revert to chopping a big coke bottle!

Cheers!

Use a jiggle syphon, set it running then stand back and enjoy the view whilst you refuel :D

I've not had any spillage from my cans but holding the bastards up to refuel was a pain so got the syphon.

That will do for me!! They look ideal! I cannot believe I had neither seen or heard of these before!
Thanks Mark!

Use a ton dish and hold the jerry can sideways with the neck on the high side. It will empty pretty fast this way. Alternatively upgrade to the marine style plastic ones with the breather screw on the opposite shoulder to the neck

I’ve done a lot of fuelling from cans and the spouts never work! I tried a funnel but as you say, storage is an issue, especially with diesel. Now I just chop an empty drinks bottle, works fine. Well, I say now, I don’t carry canned fuel since I got the long range tank fitted.

Thanks everyone for their helpful replies.

In my case, using the jerrycan will only be an occasional occurrence - so long range tanks are not really needed. Jiggle siphon jobbie sounds good and yes the drinks bottle will do too.

Thank you again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Title says it all really. In the past whenever I used the supplied MOD spout for a Jerrycan as much fuel landed up on my shoes as down the tank. Yes the nozzle had a good seal/gasket.

Has anyone any other recommendations or advice please? I may have to revert to chopping a big coke bottle!

Cheers!

Cheers!

Has it got small holes in the
Thanks everyone for their helpful replies.

In my case, using the jerrycan will only be an occasional occurrence - so long range tanks are not really needed. Jiggle siphon jobbie sounds good and yes the drinks bottle will do too.

Thank you again.
Hi Geoff
Has your spout got holes drilled in the tube its self near the bit that connects to the can ?

Hi Steve!
Just acquired the jerrycan and it has no spout, just the can. I asked, because I well remember the spouts ALWAYS dribbled or leaked and I wanted to see if there was a better way.

On searching the internet, it seems the US pattern jerrycans have a breather hole in the side of their lip. Not sure about the NATO ones like mine.

I have had a few spouts and they've been rubbish. But the current one works like a charm. IIRC it was from Machine Mart. Solid metal body with just the last couple of inches in plastic. Doesn't spill nor does it take ages to empty. I wouldn't like to have to use it in combat though. I must just run away instead.

+1 for the Machinery Mart spout use one most days never leaked yet, only thing I do is take the filter mesh out of it as slows the flow down to much for me

You are driving a Land Cruiser, so where is your Land Cruiser standard jerrycan? Never leaks, and the spout always in place.
IMG_5675_.jpg
IMG_5676_.jpg

Hi Steve!
Just acquired the jerrycan and it has no spout, just the can. I asked, because I well remember the spouts ALWAYS dribbled or leaked and I wanted to see if there was a better way.

On searching the internet, it seems the US pattern jerrycans have a breather hole in the side of their lip. Not sure about the NATO ones like mine.
If it has not got holes in the spout it will be hard to get out, as the holes let air in and so the fuel comes out
easier and faster without spilling it

20180408_095435.jpg

The swiss army spouts are the only ones that do not spill and empty a jerrycan really fast.

Have no source where to buy them at the moment they pop-up at the Bad-Kissingen show now and then.

If you find one buy it, you will not regret it.

They look like this:

swiss_005.jpg

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=138634&title=swiss-jerrycan-spout&cat=2937

I found one here:

https://www.armeeverkauf.de/einflls...ster_flex_ausgieer_benzinkanister-p-2585.html

https://www.amazon.de/Einfüllstutzen-Schweizer-Armee-Benzinkanister-Ausgießer/dp/B01CYC4PL6

Use a jiggle syphon, set it running then stand back and enjoy the view whilst you refuel :D

I've not had any spillage from my cans but holding the bastards up to refuel was a pain so got the syphon.

You won't mess about with funnels or spouts again after using a easy syphon tube.

I don’t even need to get them off the roof

I don’t even need to get them off the roof
Isn’t there the same problem with the tube as with a funnel, right dirty bastard! The only thing I could do with mine was bag it and bungee it on the roof rack, hence the move to used drinks bottles.

Problem with Jerry cans is that if you stand them up, they're too tall and if you lay them down you can't open them without standing them up. Same as with filling them. You can use the 10L ones but then you don't get a great deal of advantage for all that effort. Chucking them up and down is quite an effort; easier with two of you. Filling them on the roof isn't always possible. I'll stick with my extra tank I think.

Or get a woman to do it for you, then it doesnt matter how much spills

Back