Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pouring from a Jerrycan - spout advice?

Well as long as there's still a couple of cold ones in the fridge, I guess ....

WOW!looks like this thread has opened a can of Errrrr? ....... Diesel ?
Thank you all for your replies, I had no idea how many things there are to consider.

Having found myself with more time on my hands than I'd expected, I retreated to the man cave today to make a new Jerry can holder. I have some upright ones but they're not going to be any good mounted on my vehicle. I'm just thinking out loud for the trip to Russia. There's fuel out there but I'd rather be prepared. A bit of bashing and welding later and .......

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 16.19.28.jpg
I'm not paying nearly £100 for something to hold cans. I'll throw some paint over it tomorrow.

Looks good Chris.

One small point I would make is maybe look at extending a bar over the filler caps. This hopefully will put someone off the idea of borrowing the fuel from you when not looking.

I have had a few spouts and they've been rubbish. But the current one works like a charm. IIRC it was from Machine Mart. Solid metal body with just the last couple of inches in plastic. Doesn't spill nor does it take ages to empty. I wouldn't like to have to use it in combat though. I must just run away instead.

Be careful of the those plastic spouts. I know of 2 land cruisers in Africa where the spout is currently inside the DIY aux tank as it came off when being filled! (No I did not do it.....)

...and a small piece of osite carpet between the Jerry's to stop the rattles....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks chaps.

What you can't quite see is the wedge that is on the top bar. When you shut the bar, the cans are pushed apart. I think it's going to be rattle free. Not that I'd hear it anyway. Yes a bit of carpet between the cans would sort it should it be loose at all. It's a snug fit though

If someone wants to open the caps whilst the cans are lying down, they'd better not be smoking a fag.

The filler spout can't get into my tank. Even if it did come off. I have a split filler neck with a valve in to divert to each tank. It ain't going to get through that.

Thanks chaps.

What you can't quite see is the wedge that is on the top bar. When you shut the bar, the cans are pushed apart. I think it's going to be rattle free. Not that I'd hear it anyway. Yes a bit of carpet between the cans would sort it should it be loose at all. It's a snug fit though

If someone wants to open the caps whilst the cans are lying down, they'd better not be smoking a fag.

The filler spout can't get into my tank. Even if it did come off. I have a split filler neck with a valve in to divert to each tank. It ain't going to get through that.
If you need a guide to the Russian alphabet or any other help let me know, the missus is Belorusian so Russian is her native language. Knowing the phonetics of the alphabet is really really useful for reading signposts!!

Allow me to introduce you to this gentleman who has just driven across Siberia, in the winter!!
https://eurasiaoverland.com/author/

Cheers Mogg :thumbup: could be handy.

Err, they have signposts?

Having found myself with more time on my hands than I'd expected, I retreated to the man cave today to make a new Jerry can holder. I have some upright ones but they're not going to be any good mounted on my vehicle. I'm just thinking out loud for the trip to Russia. There's fuel out there but I'd rather be prepared. A bit of bashing and welding later and .......

View attachment 143026 I'm not paying nearly £100 for something to hold cans. I'll throw some paint over it tomorrow.

That looks like a good solid job there Chris....:text-bravo:

Cheers Mogg :thumbup: could be handy.

Err, they have signposts?
They do. In the western area they are in Cyrillic and whatever our script is but as you go further east they turn to just Cyrillic and where as in a European country you can guess the names in Cyrillic they look nothing like it, which can make navigation a bit of a ‘mare (don’t ask me how I know!) the western version of the names is phonetic somif you know the sounds of the alphabet it makes life much easier. Where are you headed? Where will you cross into Russia?

We'll put up a dedicated thread at some point seeing as this one is actually about jerry can spouts - but we're headed to Murmansk.

:text-threadjacked:

Just back from North Cyprus and a quick meet up with Dervis. Nice job there Chris!

Back