Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

powder coating

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I was too tight to get my DIY rocksliders powdercoated back in the autumn when i fabricated them.
So i put on 2-coats of hammerite.

now - some scuffs from offroading have removed some paint, no surprise there, even a powdercoat will get scrapped off by that

but salty-gritty road debris etc has also been removing the paint in chips, and these have grown into patches.
so the metal is exposed to rusting now in these small patches.

now, my question is: is a powdercoat a lot more resilient to this winter-road sand-blasting!!?
and does it cost a lot to get done - incl. blasting off existing paint...

I think I'm following you around this afternoon Andy...

It depends upon who you can find locally to get stuff coated by TBH. The chaps I use in Ashton-under-Lyme have shot blasting facility on site but I don't know how many folk can offer this under the same roof. They are by far & away the cheapest powdercoaters that I have used but the quality is great. Based upon prices quoted by other folk for wheels, they are easily 50-60% cheaper...

In my experience, powder coating can be more durable that paint but dragged across rocks etc etc, it'd still get damaged & you're still faced with touching it up to prevent rusting. You could consider getting the sliders galvanised first...

Galvanise, powdercoat then mount a strip of ertalon on the bottom of your rockslider.

Erta is extremly wear resistent and smooth sliding.
When finally the erta strip has a few nicks and dings you simply mount another strip.

What is this, a fashion parade. Come on lads, man up. Scars are good. :thumbup:

Chris

If you decide to get the powdercoating done then I recommend you pop and see PPS Fibreglass in Inverurie (down behind Tawse Tyres). I use them a lot and I'm happy with the quality of the powdercoat they do. The coat is super thick and their prices are very reasonable.

I had some work done by a company called Spraytec in Aberdeen and the coating was really thin and they missed bits. I took the same parts to PPS and was stunned by how much better they were. :thumbup:

Very important to get a good local firm - they sound like the guys to deal with around your neck of the woods Bill :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Ecoman - I remember you recommended them before, but i went for the cheaper painting in hammerite option.....

can they they do sandblasting etc to remove an existing coating of paint/rust etc at PPS Fibreglass
and any ideas of ballpark cost of coating a couple of rocksliders?

I'll let you know what mine cost when I get round to doing them Andy :mrgreen:

Yes they can do blasting. Not sure of price for rock sliders but I got a large tow bar from a hilux, plus loads of brackets and the like blasted and powdercoated for around £60

dropped the sliders off at PPS fibreglass this morning - going for a matt black coating. they said it could be next week before done. which is no prob.

Blimey, we must have just crossed paths. I was there dropping my last wheel off. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

looking forward to getting the sliders back!
place easy to find - cheers for the shout

Back