Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power steering bleeding problem

trev.w

Country Flag
england
Changed the metal power steering pipes on my 97 l/cruiser(non toyota parts a diy repair)car drives ok at normal speeds but when doing manoeuvres like parking etc its really heavy,bled the system by turning side to side on full lock,ive even disconnected the low pressure pipe on the resovoir and bled 3ltrs of fluid thru,still no different.anyone got an idea where ive gone wrong?(everything worked ok before the repair)

I had a similar problem, I stripped the pump and cleaned out the filter in the inlet fitting going on to the pump and it cured it.

Any idea if the 80 has the same filter on the pump?I'll have a look for a bleed nipple as well,everything ive read on the Internet has never mentioned either tho,thanks for the info tho

I would say it does, a metal gauze filter in a fitting that screws into the pump.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Forgot to mention that the steering is ok when the car has been stood for a while and allowed to cool eg overnight,then when its fully warmed up thats when I get the heavy steering?any thoughts on that

Looking at the diagrams and strip/rebuildprocedures in the FSM there is no mention of a filter or bleed nipple on the pump. Sounds like the system is losing pressure when hot, for some reason, which can be caused by a number of factors. Aeration or foaming of the fluid, worn piston seal or a faulty relief valve in the flow control valve assy in the pump etc.... If the system was working fine before the repair, personally, I can't see it being any of these unless some debris or foreign body got into the pump or valves and did some damage. There is a procedure for measuring the pump pressures using a gauge (SST) connected inline with the pressure line from the pump but they're talking about pressures over 1200psi so not something you could easily set up from bits lying around the workshop.

Been thinking the same thing myself towpack,especially as everything was fine before I replaced the pipes,thinking of draining sytem again and refilling with atf dexron 3 apparently this is the recommended fluid,I just topped it back up with p/steering fluid from the local motor factors,It did foam up when I first fired it up but I thought that was just caused by air in the system

Bled 5ltrs of dexron3 thru the system yesterday,not much difference,been comparing the bore sizes of the original pipe to the new one I replaced it with and the original looks to have a slightly bigger bore,maybe this could be affecting the pressure at low speeds,running out of idea's now lol

I'm no expert on pipe size/pressure equations but surely a smaller ID pipe would 'absorb' some of the pressure from the pump so less pressure would be available to power the steering? Could be an issue.

There should be an automatic increase in engine RPM when you turn the steering on idle. Is the steering still heavy if you rev up with your foot?

Got no increase in rpm when turning wheel on idle which I thought would happen,but when I rev it it becomes lighter

Just been reading some old posts about p/s idle up,anyone know where these vacuum pipes are which affect this function,wonder if ive caught something when I had the air filter box off to get at the bango connections on he p/s pipes

There's a pipe running down the RHS of the belt cover looking at the engine. There is also one coming off the turbo pipe below the inlet heater.

Several others around!!

Tell me about it haha,I'll have a look tommorrow,priced up the 2 pipes I replaced today from toyota dealer £516 unbelievable!!! cost me £18+ fluid,pity I cant get it working right tho lol

Tell me about it haha,I'll have a look tommorrow,priced up the 2 pipes I replaced today from toyota dealer £516 unbelievable!!! cost me £18+ fluid,pity I cant get it working right tho lol

Friend trev.w

I need to know if I solve the TLC problem, which is what I repair.

Thank you

Leonardo

Many 80's do have variable assistance at idle, you may find it comes and goes with no pattern, if your pipe bores are correct then normally clean fluid bring them back to life after a few days use.

Regards

Dave

Back