Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power steering reservoir

adam27

hi, just wondering of how to fix a very slow leaking reservoir on my HDJ80?
any advice would b much appreciated.

If it's leaking around the crimp between top and bottom, you can try recrimping it with a hammer and vice.

Could you just weld it? Between top and bottom, all around?

IIRC, the crimping is only at the top, which is at a level above the normal "fill" level of the reservoir. May I suggest that first you assure yourself that you haven't overfilled it? The cap on mine (I guess they're all the same) has a dipstick with a "full" marker which is some way down from the top of the can.

I suffered a leaking Power Steering for a couple of years (until I could afford the re-build) and I became a bit slapdash in keeping it topped up. By that I mean I used to overfill it because topping up was so frequent. Because of the overfilling, I always had some PS liquid pooled in the rim and that seeped its way down the sides of the can causing a gathering of dust and debris and a general untidy mess.

Of course if the reservoir is actually leaking, then the advice given may be worth doing. Just worth checking out first IMO. :think:

Last edited:
thanks for the advice guys.
im not overfilling it, it just is coming from somewhere, but cant seem to figure out where.. and then im guessing that the fan is blowing the fluid around once it kicks in..
ill try the recrimping, if not may have to make the expensive trip to toyota for a new.. :/

thanks for the advice guys.
im not overfilling it, it just is coming from somewhere, but cant seem to figure out where.. and then im guessing that the fan is blowing the fluid around once it kicks in..
ill try the recrimping, if not may have to make the expensive trip to toyota for a new.. :/

Or contact Karl on here, that's where I got mine!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have had good success carefully un crimping the top of the reservoir and removing the gasket that is in there and then refitting the lid and brazing or silver soldering the top and bottom section together. The old gasket just gets hard after years of heat and exposure to oil. The oil then runs down the hoses towards the pump and makes it look like the pump is leaking.
It works for me:)

Sarmajor

Back