Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Powertrax Lockright Locker

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these.
http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html
They look very impressive for the price.
Am I right in thinking that the front diff on the collie is Toyota 7.5" 27spline 2 pin.
If so $267 for a locker seems cheep. Don't think that it will be as locked in as an air locker but should be better than an open front diff.
Any thoughts. Read some good reviews on some suzi sites but cant seem to find anything on toyotas.
Chris

Chris Green90 said:
If so $267 for a locker seems cheep. Don't think that it will be as locked in as an air locker but should be better than an open front diff.

If that is the case it might be a good thing - I'm not sure if the CV's were designed for lots of torque.

It sounds similar to the Trutrak setup. I think I read somewhere that the clicking can get quite annoying (I think it would drive me nuts).

Putting an auto-locker on the front of a permanent 4wd is asking for trouble with the steering. I'm sure it'd be ok in a dedicated off-road vehicle but probably not for a mixed-use one.

Basically I had an Aussie in my Jeep and it was bang on, I personally wouldnt have one in the front with permanent 4wd but if you were to drive like my grandma as they only lock under power

they are a solid locker and actually unlock so do give you drive when you need it. They do 100% lock and are not a soft locker

Given the choice, I'd spend the money on a decent winch. Given that I had full locks on my 90 (and Tony P jump in here if I'm wrong) I found that putting the CD in gave you another dimension, locking the rear gave you another good go but actually locking the front was surprisingly disappointing. It added a bit more grip and go, but nothing like as much improvement as engaging the other two measures. I found few circumstances where locking the front got me out. So usually, it was out with the winch which would rescue you if you had no drive at all! So adding a not full locker would probably be a complete waste of time. But fun.

Great to be able to say you have one though. Now on the 80, the front locker makes a huge difference I find. Can't explain why really. Driveshaft breakages? Oh Tony.......

Chris

Chris said:
Great to be able to say you have one though. Now on the 80, the front locker makes a huge difference I find. Can't explain why really. Driveshaft breakages? Oh Tony.......

Chris

wise words Chris and very true, the live axle will make the difference

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
3 of my mates have got these lockers fitted in the rear of there suzuki 4x4's. they seem to work well but there very noisy on the road. enough to some times make you jump when you turn a corner at slow speeds and it suddenly goes bang! :?

cheap yes, effective off road, yes!

quite and refined NO! :lol:

In the various write ups I have seen, the general consensus indicates that you need to modify your driving style to cope with desire of the motor to go straight on.

Definitely not for a front diff.

Roger

Well, not quite sure I agree with that from experience, but in fairness, it something on an IFS that you should only engage as a final countermeasure. So not something that I EVER tried to drive around with locked needing me to change my style. I think (and again I hope TP doesn't mind me saying) the cause of some of the breakage on LB was as a result of trying to tackle things with it locked, rather than as something to be used in a really tricky spot. The 90 series has fantastic torque and locking things up then giving it the beans will result in tears. So, in terms of modifying your style to drive with it hmm no, in terms of resisting the temptation to lock it at every opportunity - yes. So I think we're on the same page really.

The ARB carrier is so strong that all that energy has to go somewhere and given the strength of everything else, the weakest point is CVs and drive shafts. If the wheels are free to move like in deep mud, i never felt as though it was a problem, but giving it total death on a dry rutted bank is a recipe for disaster in a 90

Chris

Chris, i think Roger is referring to lockrites/trutrack/aussie locker etc. where by its permanently locked and unlocks when cornering on the road.

with these types of locker it is advised to alter your driving style, and it wouldnt be advisable to fit one in the front diff, as it would make cornering off road in 4 wheel drive very tricky as the vehicle would always want to go straight on.

obviously not a problem with an ARB, as like you say you can choose when to use it. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Right, gotcha Ben. Don't like the sound of that much!

Chris

Back