Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado or Colorado, whats the difference??

Chris Mann

Country Flag
great_britain
Hey guys

I'm on the look out for a decent 90. I know there are two, the prado and the colorado. I know the prado is the import and colorado is the UK spec. And thats where my knowledge stops!!

What are the differences between the two??

Which one is the best to go for??

I am a novice when it comes to landcruisers so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gosh, this is a new question. Kidding, sorry couldn't resist.

Well, the UK Colorado 90 came in 2 basic specs. The GX and the VX. Plus, early on there were some Farmer Giles versions, the FX and the EX and then a ltd version called the K2 which are few and far between. Now the thing with the Prado 90 is that it depends where you import it from. There is a whole world to go at. But, other than the odd toy here and there and usually an intercooler plus an auto in the short wheelbase there isn't that much really. Imports tend to be very nice underneath. The really biggest difference in my view is that the UK 90 came with a rear diff lock. Now, if it's still working on an older model, it makes a monster difference off road. If that is not your thing then really, pick the paint you like and the interior colour and choose either! But you need to decide what you want from a 90 and then decide which to go for.

Chris

At which point did the 90 change from :?: engine to the D4D engine?

Mines a T reg (98) & not a D4D...

Might be up for sale if an 80 I have my eye on is still for sale...

Chris...??

The D4-d started to be seen in 2001 onwards if I am to be corrected.

And then the discussion about if to look for the older engine, or the newer D4-d also comes into play.

Graham

Now, I tell you what. I have never seen a Prado with a D4D in it. There's a thing. Gav-which 80 is that then? I may have been to see it!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
At which point did the 90 change from :?: engine to the D4D engine?

The earlier diesel engine is the 1KZ-TE.

Still 3.0 litres but with the old-style mechanical injection system as opposed to the shiny & new 'Common Rail' system with electronic injectors found on the D4D.

The D4D also has an inter-cooler whereas the UK Spec 1KZ-TE doesn't (unless someone has added an aftermarket one).

Chris - you say that the UK 'Colorado' comes with a rear diff locker, but doesn't the Prado have a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) in the rear axle instead ???

And then there's the rear lights . . in the bumper with only the reversing and fog lights higher up on the Colorado, or a driver's eye-level set on the Prado with reflectors in the bumpers (but a rear fog light has to be hung below the bumper as an afterthought).

Bob.

Yes, Bob quite right but didn't think it worth mentioning 'cos generally after about 50k they are stuffed. They were only ever a 16-84 split anyway IIRC. As in limited slip, not non slip. Why the UK got singled out for a great extra like that is still a mystery to me.

C

Chris, check out the ebay addicts section...

I live in Sri Lanka and I have recently purchased a 1997 Prado (1KZ-TE/KZJ95) the Japanese domestic version.

It has no Rear Diff Lock switch. Does that mean that it is equipped with a Limited Slip Differential? Is there anyway to check this?

I am relatively new to Prado 4x4

Thanks

Ekendra

ekendraed said:
I live in Sri Lanka and I have recently purchased a 1997 Prado (1KZ-TE/KZJ95) the Japanese domestic version.

It has no Rear Diff Lock switch. Does that mean that it is equipped with a Limited Slip Differential? Is there anyway to check this?

I am relatively new to Prado 4x4

Thanks

Ekendra
First and simplest job is to look underneath. The diff lock axle will have an actuator bolted to it. The LSD type will just look like a standard axle casing with no actuator...obviously!. The second way to check if unsure if your axle is fitted with LSD or not is to jack up the rear or the LC so the wheels are suspended. Then turn one wheel. If the opposite wheel spins in the opposite direction then its an open diff. If it rotares in the same drection then its LSD.

Hi Ekendra

Generally in that age of vehicle the LSD will probably no longer work.
Mine does to a slight degree but not as it would have done when new.

Jack up one side of the rear and spin the wheel. If it drags more the faster you turn it then the LSD is still doing something.
If it gets really difficult to turn as you try to spin it faster it may still be okay.

Edit: sorry, just spotted Bills post above :doh:

shoyld just be a straight axle swap I would have thought, theres one on the bay at the minute aswell

If you go and look at aPrado bare in mind the clock milometer is in Kilometers, the speedo will read in MPH though !

Nick.

J66P said:
shoyld just be a straight axle swap I would have thought, theres one on the bay at the minute aswell
Just looked on the bay and can't see it, would you copy me the link please ?

Nick.

Thanks J66P , the listing ended yestarday so I've just sent him a question ! however it's not my to do list anytime soon !

Nick.

ok here we go then with regards to the difference beetween a prado and a colorado. first thing thats obvious is no rust i looked at a lot of collorados before buying my prado and to be honest i wouldnt touch a uk collorado for one reason only RUST !! mine is a 97 import been in uk 3 years and the condition underneath is like a 2 year old not the 13 years it is. what you have to remember is in japan there is no salt on the roads and they do very low mileage. and they also seem to take great pride in looking after there cars. its your choice as to what to buy but i think that after looking around for a while you will agree with me. plus the jap specs are much higher i have sunroof r/rack tinted glass intercooler climate control front/rear parking mirrors wood trim finishes and the bodywork is immaculate.ok so i have no difflock but it has never been an issue and i doubt very much that people that do have it rarely if ever use it at all. the only thing you need to worry about are the head and auto gearbox problems which has been covered on here im sure.but that applies to both uk and import vehicles HAPPY HUNTING :thumbup:

Back