Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pre-trip service work on my Prado.

wobbly

Garage
I'm off to Portugal soon'ish (September) and am looking at getting some pre-emptive work done.

I'm going to replace both CV joints, and also the front bearings.

Group wisdom seems to be to stick to Toyota CV joints - I do carry a spare in my parts chest but its a pattern part in case of breakdown.

Bearings - I've seen another brand commented on favourably - something like KOYO? Or should I stick to Toyota?

Thinking of Overland Cruisers for the work as my local guy seems to have become very expensive, as they are in reasonable reach of Somerset. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Pete

Pull your rad out and give it good clean on both sides, check brakes and lower ball joints. UJ's on props, gear oils etc

The uj's on the propshaft - how can I tell if they are ok without removing them? They have a grease nipple, can do that easily enough.

Rad is clear, check it on a regular basis.

I did the brakes prior to Portugal last year, will check them again, would like to fit anti-squeal shims in rear as didnt do it at the time.

Pete

The bearings on the front - does the hub have to come off for them to be pressed in?

Just been reading the 'how to' cv post in sticky, reckon I could do that bit, did try last year but couldnt shift the 4 bolts at the start of the job, sussed that now though.

Koyo are one te biggest bearing manufactures who probley manufacture the bearings for toyota.

Cool, thanks. Will check in with milners who i think sell the koyo ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you aren't feeling any vibration between 60-70mph, you probably don't need to replace the uj's. Just squeeze fresh grease into them until you start seeing it coming out.

Why are you replacing the cv's and front bearings?

Theres a vibration in the form of a knock at low speed - can feel it through the steering and audible (may be a uj ?) .

Have a 'knock' in low range from osf, sounds just like a worn cv.

Partly also as a preventative measure, if I change then now they should last another 100k.

Truck has been lifted, so i expect to find some wear on bushes etc.

No vibration at speed, although when the truck is loaded I get a wobble on the steering.

Pete

Slow speed knock on my truck was caused by an anti roll bar bush giving up the ghost .

Hi Wayne, Where you been lately? long time no posts. Are you going to Lincomb next week-end?

Hi Chas , been fishing , just home not sure if i can make Lincomb my trucks been neglected and i was handed a "to do" list by the boss when i arrived so i will see if i can talk her into a romantic weekend away ..... via Lincomb of course :icon-wink:

Hi Chas , been fishing , just home not sure if i can make Lincomb my trucks been neglected and i was handed a "to do" list by the boss when i arrived so i will see if i can talk her into a romantic weekend away ..... via Lincomb of course :icon-wink:

Just tell her you've been working that hard you need a relaxing week-end in the country.

I wondered where that bugger had disappeared to, good to hear you are still in the land of the living Shayne, get yersen to Lincomb be good to see you.

Andy

Hi Shayne, you've been conspicuous by your absence, welcome home!:thumbup:

Sorry for the thread-jack :whistle:

Both front wheel bearings and CV's have quite a good reputation on these trucks. The CV's can go, but it is a lot less common than you would think - I've read of more snapped shafts than actual joint failures. The wheel bearings are also very good and failures are uncommon. When I changed my CV the problem turned out to be the left lower control arm bush... and the CV went back and is still going fine after 180k miles.

Also when was the last time you had a wheel alignment done? When my alignment goes out I get all sorts of symptoms - I currently have a judder under braking which turned out to be the toe in that was out (on two previous occasions).

I cant get anyone locally to do the wheel-alignment, one look at the tyres/lift and you see the panic in their eyes.....

pete protyre would do the wheel alignment i expect give them a shout they have always been helpful. pop in for coffee as well after only 5 mins from me.

Back