Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

problem on the front left wheel, it leaks grease! please help!

Karlos

Country Flag
australia
Hello land cruiser friends!

I have an awesome 80 series Manual, Diesel build in 93

I have a problem on the front left wheel. It leaks grease and I can’t find where exactly. It seems to be between brake disc and knuckle (joint/hub sorry don’t know what its called) its not between axle and joint.

My questions:

1 How urgently do I need to fix it? I put every few thousand km some new grease in. and I would like to go on a 4wheel drive trip over Easter approximately 1000km do I need to fix it before?

2 How long does it take to replace all bearings and seals including axle oil seal? (for a professional mechanic and how long for let’s say for a hobby mechanic)

3 I have seen few bearing, knuckle sealing kits online for about $130 are they OK or should I get original parts from Toyota? Can someone recommend something?

4 Do I need to do a wheel alignment after the rebuild?

Your help is much appreciated

And another question how bad is it if your wheel bearings are loos (mine are fine I just want to know it)? What could worst case happen?

Thanks again!

I am looking forward to fix my beauty

Cheers

Karl

Karlos, welcome to the forum. We usually like to have an introduction from you first but seeing as you are in trouble we'll let you off this time.

Search really is your friend. In relation to the 80 series there isn't much that we have not covered before so rather than write the whole answer again, go here and read the articles we have published before.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/34997-80-series-mods-and-repairs-FAQ

The reason that you are probably leaking grease is that the inner axle oil seals will have failed and axle oil is washing the hub grease out of the bearings. You need to get onto this. It's not the end of the world, but if you lose all the oil in the diff then you will come to a sudden stop.

Read through the links first and then come back with any outstanding questions. If everything goes to plan and you don't snap anything etc, then a really good quality rebuild should take half to 3/4 of a day. You can do it much faster if it's all be apart recently and you have everything to hand and the sun is shining and your Missus keeps bring you cups of tea and you don't hit your thumb with a hammer, but generally half a day or so. Some rebuild kits are good and some parts are rubbish. All of that is in the posts.

Kind of you to send Karlos the link Chris, but what happens if he wants/needs to do it on a Sunday?

You didn't think of that did you? :lol::icon-rolleyes:

I didn't send him THAT link though Clive. Ahh haaa, see.

Karlos check your dif oil immediately and top up before you drive any further.

Back