Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Puddle jumping

nivapilot

Country Flag
england
As the ttile suggests, I love puddle jumping, that is to say my daughter does:icon-biggrin:...., well every time I splash through a decent sized puddle of water, the windscreen gets obliterated, with water:shock:.

Any body have the same problem?, i
f I puddle jump in my van, the water gets whooshed off to the side, and the same with my wife's Zafira...
But the cruiser?, water covers the screen, I have to put on the wipers quickly, and drive blind 'til the wipers do their stuff.

I thought, that maybe it was the ground clearance on the front that was the problem, maybe put a smallish rubber muflap attatched to the front bumper to try and stop, or cut it down.

Has anybody else any ideas, or have you got a solution that works?

I have the same thing since putting on the ARB Sahara bar. Prior to that no issue. So the front bumper was blocking it and the improved approach angle lets the water out and up I guess.

Yes, my kids love "puddle jumping" too but the same happens with the 90 on standard bumpers (probably worse with a winch bumper). The first time that it happened, it was a real brown trouser moment - totally blind for a second or two and complete panic !

Now I know what to expect, I just put the wipers on full speed just beforehand and make sure the road is clear in front.

Last edited:
Happens to me too. Could be to do with the tyres being wider on a 4x4 ? When hitting the puddles at speed the water gets pushed forward (as well as sideways) .. with the water that is pushed forward ultimately going up and over the windscreen.

You want to try it running spacers on your truck aswell, far worse :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You want to try it running spacers on your truck aswell, far worse :lol:

Had spacers and winch bumper on my 70, had the same problem with that one as well...also the spacers allowed any dirt and water to get sprayed all over the side of the wagon..

I have been told its down to the tyres, my BFG AT's also spray water onto the windscreen. Steve had the same issue in his black 95 with AT's until he changed to KM2's, now the water sprays to the side.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That makes sense Rob ... the more aggressive tread pattern to allow more water through and under the tyre instead of being pushed forward.

My 80 in uk had BFG Muds and was terrible for it, remember that day on the plain when i covered the sunroof with mud.

That day cost me an alternator too

IMG_8489a.jpg

Last edited:
Yup I remember that day too :lol:
IMG_9980-L.jpg

Let's just say I am still finding mud in my 120 3 years later :violin:

And still looking for your front number plate ;-)

I had lumps of mud and grass on the roof that day.

:)

Brings to mind a memory of a trip in the Lakes in a mates Freelancer. Lovely warm summer day after a stack of rain so we went out mountain biking. On the way back driving down the road and drove through a huge puddle. The water gushed up, over the bonnet and windscreen and straight through the open sunroof!

I think most 4x4 vehicles have this feature of water piling over the front. My 101 Ambulance is exceedingly boring in this respect as absolutely no water comes over the front under almost any circumstances.

My 101 Ambulance is exceedingly boring in this respect as absolutely no water comes over the front under almost any circumstances.

You'll need a tsunami to get water coming over the bonnet of that! :lol:

Back