Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Puter help needed

joinerman

Garage
My daughters running vista & today when she tried to connect to the internet using internet explorer vista defender popped up saying it had a virus, Trojen-BNK.WIN32.Keylogger.gen. credit card details & passwords are at risk if she doesn't buy defender software to remove the virus $60, she can not connect to the internet, anyone help ?

Windows defender is a free spyware/adware protection program from Microsoft so any pop up demanding that you pay for it is a scam. Does she have any antivirus software installed on the PC? if so run a full scan and see what comes up. If not download the free version of AVG and run the scan here http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-V...l-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801. If you cant connect to the internet on that PC than download it on a different one and put it on a usb stick.

If she is not on the internet then i would check her network connection is enabled and connected (go to network and sharing centre). If enabled and connected check if skype, msm messenger or any other program which uses the internet works. A good way to test if the PC is on the internet press start and then type cmd.exe and the press enter. You will see a window with a black MS-DOS like interface. Type the following EXACTLY (inside the code box):

Code:
ping [url]www.google.com[/url]

then press enter. If all 4 packets theat were sent were received then this means the PC is connected to the internet. If the result is negative then i wuodl check the method of connecting to the internet (wifi, cable, moden ect in Network and Sharing centre) If she is connected to the internet check if there is any third party firewall on the PC which is blocking internet access. The easiest way to remove this is to uninstall the firewall application as windows firewall provides adequate protection. I have come across viruses that block internet explorer from accessing the internet so a short term fix would be to install firefox(download on different PC). I would recommend chrome BTW but you need a browser that works to install it.

There is so much that could be wrong but i think i have covered enough for you to be know what might be causing the problem. Hope this helps

Joinerman.

Make sure she has not got a freeware antivirus software called Defender (rather than the normal Windows Defender from Microsoft). I have had a look at a few forums and it seems this is a hoax kicked off by the software to make you go and buy the full version.

Hi Andy, tried all kinds of suggested ideas from this & other forums including downloading malware removal tools onto a stick on my pc then onto hers but it just refuses to do anything, can not get her on the net not even in safe mode, off to my pc repair guru in the morning, daughters got herself right upset.

sounds like its time to reformat if you cant get into safe mode. If you have the origional vista cd then you can do it yourself. just need to get a hard disk caddy so you can copy all her data over before it gets wiped.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is a spyware program. Oftern comes up as Antivirus Vista and the like. I do know how to remove it, but can not remember how. But if you do a search for Antivirus Vista you will find out how to remove it.

Paul

UPDATE

Took it into a repair guru today, took him most of the afternoon to fix, although not technically a virus it had stopped several other programs from working properly, all sorted now & thanks for all help offered.

Takes me about 2 hours to remove it, when I can remember how to do it :lol: :lol:

Sorry I can't help. Bit lost on this one. Virus? Trojan?

Sent from my Mac.

Oh don't you just hate a smug B******d

Chris

(uh oh, I detect incoming hate mail) ;)

Back