Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees 2011, 27/05-05/06, planning

Re: Pyrenees 2011, 29/05-04/06, planning

This is my neck of the woods and most of the "pistas" are just like forestry tracks in the U.K, except allot of them don't have any gravel dressing. In dry conditions you can drive up most of them in a C 15 or similar.Of course weather can change things quickly, when it snows here ,above 900 -1000 meters it can come down really fast building up a few cms in minutes.Rain can also turn hard packed dirt tracks into skating rinks,the dust on top turning to a slippery "mousee" before the water has time to soak in & soften the track.Navigation can also be tricky,with hundreds of KMs of unmarked tracks & long distances.Each regional government also has its own legislation governing these tracks - E.G. in Aragon it is forbidden to drive in convoys of more than 3 cars without prior permission.Fires are also strictly forbidden.On the plus side fantastic scenery , lots of interesting stuff to see ,great food & drink and friendly people - enjoy!

From what I've hear so far although there will be plenty of easy stuff there are also lots of places where it will get interesting :thumbup: Only one way to find out :mrgreen:

How have I missed this thread? This sounds interesting. I will need to get back to you. How many people are goin? is there a limit?

I'm sure there's room for you Rob. At the moment there's me, Matt, Gary, possibly Julian and I think Eric but I'm assuming a bit like a laning trip some may have to drop out and there may be extras by the time we get there :) We can split into delayed groups if there are too many of us for a single convoy. Although I will be getting as much information as possible and planning a route there will be an element of making it up as we go along, especially for the camping :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
there will be an element of making it up as we go along, especially for the camping :)
sounds good :thumbup:

The good news is some maps and information came in the post today :D The not so good news is it's all in French (as expected) so anything could happen :thumbup: . I assume "passage de col" which google translates as "neck passage" :lol: means it's a bit narrow :mrgreen: Good job we're not going for a few months yet :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just got some feedback from TonyS, sounds like he's having great fun in the snow :thumbup:

Looking very good Jon :thumbup:

Like the sound of the Tipi with a log burning stove and "OzTony's" setup looks good.

Yes, Tipi sounds ideal for crap weather! Tony has the mk2 folding foxwing brackets on his hilux :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Yes, Tipi sounds ideal for crap weather! Tony has the mk2 folding foxwing brackets on his hilux :)

I have a feeling I'm going to like Tony's Hilux when I get to see a photo :mrgreen:

Hi all,
love to do this as I could tie it in with seeing my Mum and Dad as they live that way, Just a word of warning as goodoldboy has said areas are vey fussy about group size, 3 is usually the max. Be prepared to be stopped by the local police in the most obscure locations and make sure you have all documents with you. Spanish law regarding rights of way are..........to say the least are very vague at best, and you can land yourself in trouble without knowing it.

I have done most of the mountains around Mum and Dads place and you will have loads of fun and find some amazing scenery.

I am sure that goodoldboy will confirm this but generally most rights of way were created by the local farmer and his donkey so some will be inpassable and others may have been taken up by the local authorities and will be in better condition whilst others stay the same as donkey tracks. worst of all some will have vanished alltogether and you find that are driving over someones land, who happens to like your truck and you have to give it to him as a fine. :evil:

If you like I can e-mail my Dad and see if he can get a low down on the situation at the moment in Spain as it changes from month to month but the reply will only be a guide and not how the locals are at any given location or time.

Don't let this put you off as there is some amazing off roading to be had out there that you would not get anywhere else in the world, just be prepared Gents.

Steve

BlackWidow said:
who happens to like your truck and you have to give it to him as a fine. :evil:

Steve

Bloody hell, sounds just like Morocco, take 2 :shock:

Graham

Graham said:
BlackWidow said:
who happens to like your truck and you have to give it to him as a fine. :evil:

Steve

Bloody hell, sounds just like Morocco, take 2 :shock:

Graham

Why? Is that why your report was cut short? :? :whistle:

We should be ok Steve, I have some solid sources of information now some of it local some of it past and recent usage ;) The route will be from fos to and through andora and then on to the med coast, much too long for the time available so I just have to work out the best bits and piece it together. It may be a case of doing half in 2011 and the other half in 2012 :) Where are your mum & dad?

I've seen TonyS's pictures from his recent trip plus talked about what the best bits were and we should have a pretty interesting route to follow once I've cross referenced his feedback with my information and pieced it together :thumbup: It won't be hard core off-roading but it won't be boring either IMO :)

Christopher demonstrating the "photo pose" and showing off his shinny new passport.

Are we there yet? :mrgreen:

IMG_1588-1.jpg

:lol: it's a long time to wait for someone his age :!:

true but we've had more practice at waiting than Christopher :)

Back