Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees 2011, 27/05-05/06, planning

Re: Pyrenees 2011, 29/05-04/06, planning

24Seven said:
I realistic fare is not far off Dover - Calais for those dates although still cheaper though, I guess it would mean a camp spot near Dover and then catch an early ferry on Sat morning.

fare.jpg
Dover castle car park :thumbup:

We put the rooftent up just after dark, and we were away from there about 3 am, with a 4am sailing.

Graham

Having a look at the Spain crossing, there is one which may work, but it's more money that I thought. Since P&O have pulled out of ferries to Spain, Brittany ferries have put their prices up which were already more expensive than P&O any way.

spainw.jpg

Where did you get that quote from Matt, when I looked it was about £950 at my IP address :roll: I couldn't depart at 17:00 on the Friday BTW, the absolute earliest I can leave here is 16:00 :( otherwise Dover wouldn't be so scary :mrgreen:

Yep, still got to do Edinburgh to whatever port and back again so 2 extra days driving for me ...

Just got to suck it up :?

Sunday seems to be the next slot after Friday evening? Going to have some food and have a think :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Found this combination, price is better but it's still around 200 miles each way to get to a mid point on the Pyrenees, I think you would get more time there getting to France on Saturday morning :think:

spain2.jpg

Julian said:
The real pain in the arse is that Norflok line do crossings Dover to Dunkirk for about £48 return, gives £320 for fuel and tolls only bad side is time
How long would you allow to get from your house to Dover on a Friday night at the start of school holidays? Do you go via back roads or up the M3, round the M25 and down the M20? Trying to judge what sort of time myself and Gary (and anyone else north of the M25) could reasonably expect to get to Dover.

I don't think the Portsmouth to Spain ferry option is going to work (because of my departure time constraints, I know, blame me :roll: ). I think Monday 12:00 is eating into the week too much with a few hours drive still to do to get started.

Jon, well I used to do that run a fair bit. Would leave 3.5 hours and to be honest I would go up the A3 M25 etc. I have tried just about every route and it's the quickest
I am pretty sure the ferry companies work this all out to make it difficult. I don't think there is a right answer. I always seem to end up going down to Dover even though I can nearly see Portsmouth from my house :thumbdown:

Edit: I am also convinced that the more you check the prices from your IP the higher they get

That's not so bad Julian, I should probably get to Dover well before midnight then. So it should be possible to get to Dover, fit in some sleep (Gary will have been driving all day if he's traveling with us) and get most of the way south on Saturday without making it too much of a slog and then the last bit sunday morning so sunday night we'd be pitching up in the pyrenees somewhere ... Anyone not like that?

Are these dates locked in then? If so, I need to book leave etc. and book a ferry - I won't be going via Freeways Latitude folk as they are too far, and it'll take me an extra 2 days of unpaid time, so will make the winch bar stupidly extra expensive - it'll be cheaper to ship it across and fit myself!

If there are school hols and things then I'd rather book a ferry now and have to cancel if I fall out the trip for whatever reason, than wait until the last minute and have to use water wings to get there :p :lol: :cool:

Jon - when do you start your French classes??? :clap:

The dates are definately when I'm going Gary, I have no option to move them. French lessons are an ongoing project :thumbup: should know at least a dozen extra words this time :lol: We just need to make a decision on which crossing and what time that is so I'm just waiting for some more feedback on that now?

Jon Wildsmith said:
The dates are definately when I'm going Gary, I have no option to move them. French lessons are an ongoing project :thumbup: should know at least a dozen extra words this time :lol: We just need to make a decision on which crossing and what time that is so I'm just waiting for some more feedback on that now?

Up to you Jon as far as I'm considered.

:techie-studyinggray: OK - I'll get the phrase book out then as well :lol:

OK - happy with those dates - interesting birthday locations I'm having! I'll keep an eye on this and look out for the ferry posting bits ...

Cheers Jon!

what are the trails like in Pyrennes? no access issues? and is it easy to find routes and descriptions?

AndyCook said:
what are the trails like in Pyrennes? no access issues? and is it easy to find routes and descriptions?
I was waiting to see if someone who's been would reply Andy. Can't tell you what the trails are like except I'm told they're good. Routes can be found but seems it takes a bit of research and networking or just go with a guided group.

24Seven said:
Up to you Jon as far as I'm considered.
I have booked the following :D

ftick.jpg

The Dunkirk option was more expensive when I put in my vehicle details instead of the default (£30 extra for length) plus upgrading to VIP lounge so this seems the best option. I will get to Dover at whatever time traffic permits but hopefully well before boarding and probably snooze in the car till boarding time and then depending how we feel when we get off the ferry we can stop at the first decent aire and have a few hours sleep? The return time is a bit of a compromise to give us as much travel time as possible for getting to the port but still get home hopefully not too late for most of us and Matt especially if he has a little one with him :)

Booked :lol:

Booking reference xxxxxx [Your SeaFrance booking is confirmed.]
Primary Contact Mr GARY STOCKTON
Email xxxx
Mobile Number 7xxx
Total price: £127.00
Outward Dover - Calais (Flexible) - 28/05/2011 00:45 - SeaFrance Rodin [Le Relais self-service restaurant open, Le Pub open, shop open] £60.00
1x Marine Conservation Contribution £2.00
Return Calais - Dover (Flexible) - 05/06/2011 17:30 - SeaFrance Moliere [Le Relais self-service restaurant open, Le Pub open, shop open] £65.00
Vehicle Car - WzzzzzO (5.0 m)
*High vehicle (top box, bike on roof, etc.)

Booked for me and SWMBO, and I went for a flexi-fare just in case my life goes pear-shaped ... Otherwise it would have been £104.00 :lol:

Jon - went to the SeaFrance website as the DirectFerries one was playing games :)

Cheers

Well done chaps, I will get my arse in gear and book this
Just started a new job and a bit headless chicken at the moment

I'm still hatching a plan atm, thinking of combining a couple of weeks in Morocco and then meeting you guys at the Pyrenees, I'm coming either way though but I will book my ferry when I have made my mind up :think:

Back