Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees 2011, 27/05-05/06, planning

SpinDrift said:
I am currently planning to travel to Morocco-Maui-Mali between now and the end of May but all going well and getting back without any damage I think I am interested in the Pyrennes trip. The region has been on my list for a while. Is there any space in the group?
cheers

As Steve can't come now you could claim his spot :) Are you a definate or just a maybe for now?

Hi Jon,

put me down as a maybe for now. I will confirm shortly.

thanks

SpinDrift said:
Hi Jon,

put me down as a maybe for now. I will confirm shortly.

thanks

:thumbup:

I was worried I would have to tow out all those "posh" LC's by myself :mrgreen:

Ha! Is that a gauntlet I spy on the floor there, Matt??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
Ha! Is that a gauntlet I spy on the floor there, Matt??

Dam right, fancy new suspension or not, I won't be worried by a "Barbie" Cruiser showing me up :mrgreen:

Heh heh heh - not a Barbie any longer though, and will be even less so by the time we get there!!

Hi Matt,

Yeah, between us we should be able to take care of the rest of the pack :)

On my way back fro Morr 2 years ago I passed through the Picos d Europa west of Bilbao and figured that a trip to the Pyrenees would be great.

cheers

Thinking of heading to the Pyrennes later in the summer - August/September to do some mountain biking and also 4x4 trails in the landcruiser
would be great to know your routes when you have been if you will be sharing your hard-earned research?
as it seems from the research I have done so far, that you have to be careful where you go - like anywhere!

looking like it will be a couple weeks after your trip that I head out to the Pyrennes, as need to tie it in with a visit to the outlaws near Sheffield. shame we won't coincide.

going to look into Ferry's i.e. Dover - Calais, or Hull > Zebrugge.
don't mind trying out the drive across france this time, and maybe stopping off at a wine growing area on the way!

what roads are best for driving across France?
the most direct go through Paris... which doesn't seem to be a good idea.
I was wondering if skirting East of Paris via Le Mans - is that a better option?

I think you'd get a different answer for everyone you ask Andy. I hear it can be quite an experience going round Paris at a busy time of day but I wouldn't go as far west as Le Mans to avoid it EDIT: unless it suits your destination, I haven't compared distances yet :. Last year, from Le Havre, we headed towards Paris and cut the corner off before we got there, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, then rejoined the motorway just north of Orleans. Haven't worked out what we'll do this year yet coming from Callais, something similar or just tackle it in the early hours when the roads will be quieter.

Paris is not so bad, it can however be a little fun going straight through the middle :clap: you should try Rome :shock:
The le-mans route is pretty quick
my fav euro mapping tool is this one
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
gives toll info as well, you can even get book hotels en route

I agree Paris is not so bad as long as you follow the signs, Bordeaux when heading in a southerly direction and Lille when heading in a northerly direction. I have done it many times usually at rush hour and its no worse than the M25.

i fancy giving the RB1 and RB2 /or RB3
will see how much time we have

are you doing similar routes? with some variation i assume!
might get my french work colleagues to translate though...
they look worth the purchase

did you get the waypoints too, what were the format options?

I am sure you also found report of part of the RB1 by these bikers: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233619

interesting with rock/root blocking trail - a tirfor could be usefull!
and snow blocking some high-level passes, but i am sure a crusier could get through after a few attempts!

Same as for laning really you have to allow for blockages and delays and be well equipped :) The RB's have lat/lon on each case and they sent a gpx file with waypoints for most of the routes but not in the same detail as the book. Reading other peoples comments there are places where the locals are not happy to see you, bit like the UK then :lol: I'm hoping our timing will be just right to keep it interesting but not attract too much attention being out of peak season.

Back