Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question on transfer boxes 80 series

Hi Chris

No double uj on the front. One at each end.
In my experience a dif whine is rather low pitched whereas gearbox whines are slightly higher. Probably due how many hits per second the particular gear teeth are doing. Also if it sounds central it's probably in the 'box area.

Frank

On the early Range Rover gearboxes the oil used to go from the main 'box into the transfer 'box when the seal failed, often!
I don't know why Chris's oil is dirty. Mine stays crystal clear but mine is manual. I would drain the oil out when hot into an aluminium pan and then wipe a magnet across the bottom then soak the magnet in petrol to remove the oil. The metal chippings make pretty little christmas tree shapes to cheer you up.

Right DOUBLE uj at EACH end. My bad. Didn't take in the subtlety of that. Did wonder how it would work with NO uj on there. Thought you were inferring that there was only a uj on one end - which I knew there wasn't

Chris

Any blackening of the oil would more than likely be VC. I split my old gearbox and transfer yesterday and if the rear output seal was away on the box it would simply fill up the plate between gbox and transfer which would be very noticeable as there is wee nikk cut out of the plate on the transfer side (I assume to make splitting it easier with small chisel) any oil leaking from box would run out here also.

What about rear diff has it ever been rebuilt?

No leaks, rear out put seal only just replaced. That's the point I was making. In only a thousand miles or less since draining and refilling after swapping the seal, the oil looks like mud. Rear rebuilt? It's only done 70 k miles since leaving Itchifanni in Japan.

I looked at the oil today in the bucket. It's very definitely a suspension of particles in the oil. I shall stick some in a bottle and see if it separates. On the finger, it's clear. But in the bucket it's brown.

Chris

Chris said:
leaving Itchifanni in Japan.
Very popular tourist destination, as well as the birthplace of the mighty cruiser :lol:

Chris said:
On the finger, it's clear. But in the bucket it's brown.
I think this is why most people think that their t/case oil is A1. I think more people would find a similar issue if they dropped the oil - probably not worth doing just for the sake of it though ;) Mine looked fine to the casual inspection but when drained you could see the suspended particles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Matt says that his is the same. He told me it was pink. I said PINK? And he said, OK well I mean red then. I said RED?

I had to explain that it was supposed to be clear. I won't embarrass him by relating how he thought he'd checked the transfer box oil in the first place. :oops:

Don't worry Matt. It' safe with me. :hand:

Chris

It has a magnetic sump plug Frank. Just the usual small amount of very fine dust.

Chris

Frank, I don't think that would work. It's not distinct enough like a clonk clonk clonk noise would be. And even with the window open you can't actually tell quite where it's coming from.

Chris

Sorry Dave, pretty sure it's nothing to do with that. My props are not out of line or miss-phased at all. Not over greased in fact I think I posted on over greased slip joints somewhere in the past. Been at this too long really to put a prop back together out of line. :character-oldtimer:

Yes, drove it before lift and drove it on the original car before it had a lift too. This HAS to be something in the auto or transfer boxes themselves as they are the only bit that came over from the white one where it did it from the day I got it. :cry:

Too busy with bumpers at the moment to go and try single prop shaft experiments , but I shall as part of the elimination process. Or I'll just whack the spare T box on and see if that sorts it.

Chris

I will post a video of mine tomorrow and no1 you's all have a laugh at my Leyland Lepard bus noise and no2 Chris you can say if yours sounds similar.

OK dude. I'll let you know. Thanks very much. It's not a particularly special noise that mine make, but it's a cross between a whine and a drone really.

Chris

Chris said:
Matt says that his is the same. He told me it was pink. I said PINK? And he said, OK well I mean red then. I said RED?

I had to explain that it was supposed to be clear. I won't embarrass him by relating how he thought he'd checked the transfer box oil in the first place. :oops:

Don't worry Matt. It' safe with me. :hand:

Chris

thanks Chris, lucky nobody saw ;)

To echo what's been said on here, my oil on ruby, the new truck with 153k is Pale pinky / red / brown - similar to ATF. It doesn't smell burnt (even I know what burnt oil smells like after cooking 4 lots in a row in Africa. It didn't like the weight at 12000ft).
I've been watching the post.. Very interesting ideas

The noise comes in 3 waves :
Start engine and pull off, nice and quiet / there's noise but sounds "normal / acceptable"
Then it seems to click over when there's a certain amount of force applied to the whirring sound. Uncool! Too loud to drive with on mine hence the post - Chris has been helping me :) I've been reading
Phase 3 is when I hit the highway and am in high gear, driving with as little throttle as possible. It's less noisy but still loud - described perfectly before "when you take your foot off you can't believe how noisy it was"

I checked my gearbox oil and it was low. I added 1/2 a litre of oil and it's still the same.

One thing to add. My other 80, that did Africa top to tail is quiet as a mouse!?!? Really..

Will watch what the next ideas are. I'll try the prop off this coming weekend if there's time..

Matt Wright said:
I checked my gearbox oil and it was low. I added 1/2 a litre of oil and it's still the same.
Matt, are you talking about your gearbox or t/case?

Andrew, for Pete's sake don't get started on that! I've only just stopped him topping up the radiator with screen wash!

T R A N S F E R B O X. :doh:

One of the benefits of working with Matt is that he has a tendency to make you look very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you Friday Matey. There's drink to be drunk and oil to be, err oiled? No that's not right. Glooped? Poured. Ahh, pumped. That's it.

Obi Wan :roll:

:lol: Ok I was trying to match his post and the title of this thread. I got worried when he said that the gearbox oil was similar to ATF. I was hoping it was WAS ATF or he's in for some interesting times.

Back