Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

R.I.P. AHC

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
The ironman is on, just heading down M6 on the way home :)

Sorry, don't believe you, where is your proof :mrgreen:

Home with truck, wow, its high.

Now to try it out :thumbup:

:text-worthless:

Does it count if you do it yourself ;)

Will do some tomorrow, bit dark now, and maybe some off roading on sunday.

By West Coast ?
Paul and his crew?

Whats your first impressions, besides it's higher?

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, done at West Coast for various reasons including price and availability.

First impressions are great, huge improvement over the AHC, now while i admit the AHC is a very good system and toyota made a very good job of it, i just didnt want it and mine was probably tired. Just removed the height sensors and some had completley seized link arms, easy to free up though and will be on ebay soon :thumbup:

Here are the first pics, need to do some axle twisting to settle it down i think, and maybe some wheel spacers ;)

IMG00318-20111008-1342.jpg

IMG00317-20111008-1341.jpg

IMG00316-20111008-1341.jpg

Comparison shots taken at Waitrose.

IMG00320-20111009-1542.jpg

IMG00321-20111009-1542.jpg

I bet the owner of the other one was a little confused/worried when the got back. :lol:

It's amazing how those couple of extra inches in height make the whole vehicle look bigger. It almost looks like the 100 next to yours has shrunk a little.

Looking good Paul :thumbup:

Paul

Looking good, especially those looking Cooper AT boots (with winter coming I've got to do something about mine). Pray tell, what is the overall quality of the ride compared to when your truck was fitted with AHC. Personally I won't be butchering my AHC system anytime soon for the plain reason that it helps me in loading and unloading my kit from the car.

The Other John

The Dark Dude

The ride is great, very comfortable although i was not sure my AHC was working correctly. It went up and down on the buttons and always seemed to ride level even after jacking up after it had levelled itself. As i said, the adjustable link arms on the height sensors were not in the best of condition and the rear one was pivoting by rotating the mounting ball joint in the body bracket. The sport/comfy settings did make a difference.
With ride though, nice and comfy. The steering wobble has gone but that might be to do with angle of the track rods biasing the mounting of the steering rack, i will still be replacing the bushes but i am sure the steering is a little sharper than before.
The CV's are at a greater angle so will research the diff drop, in the meantime i will replace the CV boots and regrease the shafts, good chance for a proper wheel and spindle bearing inspection too.
The tyres have now settled down but noticed a cut nearly all the way around on the bead on one, if not a manufacturing fault then must have been done on mounting the tyres, only done about 500 - 1000 miles on them and all on tarmac.

Is it a cut or a crack??

Coopers are notorious for bead cracks - all 5 of mine have cracks like that. If it's a crack, I'd ask Coopers to investigate and refund - tri-guard wall protection blah blah - and that's right up your street Paul :lol:

Oh yes, the first call has gone in already and an independant inspection will be done tomorrow ;)

Cracks on brand new boots. This isn't good. This is what I'd expect from a bad set of remoulds.

The Other John

The Dark Dude

Just looked and my dampers are actually Foam Cell, wahay, who knew :D

Wait a minute! Paul, how much did you pay for those dampers?

The Other John

AKA: The Dark Dude.

Well, revisiting this as now I have another 100 I still don't like the AHC. I have the receipts for a near total AHC replacement in the last couple of years by the Toyota dealer the previous dealer used including controller, spheres, and sensors so im confident its working correctly. Had a go in another 100 and its the same, I just don't like it. I will admit the excellent ride while towing the caravan though. Next stop.......get some Tough Dog imported from OZ

Well, revisiting this as now I have another 100 I still don't like the AHC. ............ Had a go in another 100 and its the same, I just don't like it.....

What do you not like about the ride on AHC - and what improvement does the conventional suspension provide? I'd be really interested to hear your opinions. Thanks

Back