Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator replacement options

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
The rad in my truck looks about as old as it is, given that its a 1991 it probably time to replace it.

Now don't get me wrong, its not in that bad a state, the fins are still ok and there isn't a leak but given that this is to be an overland travelling vehicle I'll be places where its warm so I reckon a top notch cooling system is one of the major requirements.:gay-umbrella::gay-umbrella::angry-fire:

Can't get an OEM one from amayama, was getting some other bits but they are 'out of stock/ don't know when back in both in UAE and Japan for the rad according to the email I got today

I think I'm afraid to ask what Mr T (UK/IRE) wants for one.....:icon-eek:

I did a bit of searching on here and I really don't want to end up with a sh1t single core job because that just ain't going to be worth it even if it is cheap!:angry-screaming:

Has anybody any idea what, if any aftermarket ones are worth getting?:think:

Its for a 1991 HDJ81, manual, diesel

I had Allisport custom manufacture me one, they might be worth a call or Email, it was not cheap but it is a very quality product, my only specifications were that is must mount in the same position/places as the standard one using standard rad hoses and have as many cores as the header tanks were thick.
My reasoning was that I wanted sufficient cooling assuming I was travelling overloaded in thick North African sand on a hot summers day, I think that was what I said to Andrew. If I remember correctly my rad might now be 5 cores thick lol.

this link should be a pic on this forum showing the top of the rad http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8139/pc250014j.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I replaced mine with one with a 5 core copper centre with brass fabricated bottom and top tanks and the job included the oil cooler in the bottom tank, from the local radiator company who made it for me using the original as a pattern. All the correct brackets etc., lovely piece of kit. The firm has now gone but there are others, they are the sort of people who repair rads and inter coolers for the commercial vehicle trade and agriculture vehicles. When I first showed it to them it didn't bother them at all, they had all the materials in stock, Might be worth an enquiry, then you'll get exactly what you want, I don't recall how much it was but it was a good deal cheaper than Mr T, best regards, Bill

Update,

I emailed Simon in Toyota and he came back with a very competitive price for a new Mr T one, so that's what I shall be going with.

In case its of any use to anyone again, the original Toyota part number 16400-17040 has been replaced.

The new part number is 16400-17020.

So thanks Simon Holton.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, Single core, agree no good in the warmer climates, fine for the UK though.

Survived last summer here, being clogged up with mud and towing the caravan whilst on the worst gearing ever - manual diffs and 37" tyres!

Try ebay.com (American site) there's some hand built alloy rads, 40% larger capacity than standard, high quality item from Thailand, bought one last year, had it shipped direct from Thailand to the UK and it arrived within ten days cost £225 inc import tax and shipping. Bargain, same item from allisport £600 +

.... bought one last year, had it shipped direct from Thailand to the UK and it arrived within ten days cost £225 inc import tax and shipping. Bargain, same item from allisport £600 +
What is the build quality like? Do all the mounting holes etc line up? Does it 'feel' as good as it looks?

Build quality is spot on, its almost a piece of engineering artwork to put under the bonnet, the ebay photo's don't really do it justice. All the mountings are correct & welds are all flawless. And if it gets damaged in any offroad "incidents" :doh:you stand a fighting chance of getting it fixed, unlike the cheap plastic tank affairs that Milner sell

Build quality is spot on, its almost a piece of engineering artwork to put under the bonnet....
Thanks Simon.... it is indeed a thing of beauty. Almost makes me want to swap out my 3 year old genuine rad :think:

I'll try to post some pics of it in situ when I get truck back later this week, its just been in to have an intercooler fitted:banana-wrench:

Didnt realise it was you Simon.
the intercooler fitted and collection this week made me put 2 and 2 together. Hi mate

Got mine made in Dublin Yogi, I have had the factory Toyota one, an expensive Aluminium PWR rad.
Currently on a 4 row core with large tubes for a fast flow and bigger integrated atf cooler, best one so far.
Stopped at 4 core for fear of the fan hitting the rad, there may be more room with a diesel, not something I have measured.
I have my temp gauge modded so even a 5 degree temp increase can be seen. And also the updated blue fan coupling on 15,000 cst oil and the valve opening point reset.
A copper rad is the way to go as it has a higher heat transfer co-efficient, almost double that of aluminium. Also copper is easily repairable should a leak occur.
Aluminium is used for rads because it is light weight in comparison.

Also remeber the get the amount of fins per inch right, its ability to dissipate heat is directly related to the amount of surface area, so the more fins the better but if there is too many it may become prone to dirt blocking the air flow.

Last edited:
Great link !

The alu rad for a 90 series is $260 delivered, so about £190.00 for a handbuilt 3 core rad.

I can get a cheaper one for about £130 in UK, but probably made in China and only single core.

Interesting.

Pete

Back