Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator Replacement

Dan W

Garage
Hello (yet again). It would appear my Landcruiser has elevated its level of hostility towards me, to a point where we're verging on open warfare. As I was underneath it looking for a small coolant leak it dumped (seemingly all) of its brand new and expensive Toyota coolant upon me.

It would appear that now the radiator is FUBAR further confirming my suspicions that not only has it become self-aware but is also capable of hatred.

So I've had a google search and so far I've only come up with radiators on ebay and one from China. Best price I've found is £130 however I'm unsure if it's a good idea getting the cheapest one (even though it deserves it). I've had a look at Milner but nuffink there. Does anyone know of any decent quality suppliers, or failing that know how much one from Toyota might be?

Thanks for your patience
Dan (& Mr. Land b*****d mother ******* Cruiser)

Hi Dan
I've been down this route. I bought a local reconditioned one and it was not watertight. So I bought a Toyota one with a 2 year guarantee. My local dealer negotiates a discount but you have to ask. I buy nearly all genuine parts. 1. They fit. 2. They last 3. They work. 4. They give you peace of mind.

Frank

Hi Dan. I take it you've never owned a Landrover then? This is nothing. Just your 80 showing you affection, that's all. There are some decent rads out there. I had some Milner rads in the past and they were shite. And I told them so. I was in there recently and they had some new ones in from Koyorad I think it was and they looked fine. The really good ones came from Autokool at Barlborough. They were as good as original if not better. Ridiculously expensive Toyota coolant simply not necessary for driving to the shops. There's nothing space age about a 20 year old engine that it needs cooling with the dew from a badger's snout gather under a full moon in June by silken clad vestal virgins.

Chris

Chris if you come across any silken clad vestal virgins gathering badger dew please drop me a line or at least have your camera handy. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Chas, never said that the virgins were birds. Be careful what you wish for. :oops:

Mind you if you're not fussy ....

Chas, never said that the virgins were birds. Be careful what you wish for. :oops:

Mind you if you're not fussy ....

I thought vestal virgins were traditionally female? I've never heard of male ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dan, I have a rad here that I fitted to my 80. It was only on my truck for 12 months before I removed it.

It is a single core rad which is fine for the UK but didn't like the African heat.

If you are not considering venturing over to Africa feel free to come and collect it :thumbup:

I was going to put it on eBay but that was 12 months ago and I still haven't done it :doh:

It is for an auto by the way.

A new one from Toyota cost me £400 :shock:

Yes, Chas, they always used to be but since the Equality Act, Virgins may now be male, female or both. Same applies to eunuchs so I hear.

It's all gone to the dogs. Although cats may apply equally.

Chris

Yes, Chas, they always used to be but since the Equality Act, Virgins may now be male, female or both. Same applies to eunuchs so I hear.

It's all gone to the dogs. Although cats may apply equally.

Chris
HA! of course, I should have realised that.

Cheers guys, I rang Toyota and they told me they would like £450 for one.
After I regained consciousness, I went with one from a local motor factors as my budget is wearing exceedingly thin (already spent £4k on top of its purchase price). I'd like to keep everything Toyota, but there's not much I can do if I can't afford it unfortunately.
I didn't realise Milner stocked them as they weren't on the website, I should have rang to check.
Also, I think the application for vestal virgins can claim an exception under the discrimination at work act.

£4k - Jeez Dan what have you been doing?? I'd have done the work for £3500.

BTW Discrimination Act now defunct. Replaced with Equality Act. Come on Dan, keep up!

Chris

I'll blame it on my monoxide addled brain!
Well in summary, 5x wheels and tyres, spare wheel carrier, shot blasting chassis, new shocks and springs, both diff actuators, labour for fitting actuators (utterly seized in place), all brake discs and pads and handbrake shoes, handbrake springs (handbrake springs and pad shims alone cost 200), aircon condenser and re-gas, por 15 paint, coolant, mot work and split heater pipes.
There's more than that, but batteries on phone dying.
P.S. This message will self destruct after reading, so my wife will never find this list.

Handbrake spring kit in Milliners is £15 pad shims for £185? What?

Dan something tells me that we need to help you in sourcing some of your parts mate. But it does all sound like important work and yes, OK it's cost money but at the end of it you should have a truck that will serve you well. It looks fantastic.

I take it yours is petrol is it - with gas going in? I'd be interested to chat over a mug of tea when you finally get around to crossing the M1 that is. Don't worry, the world isn't flat.

BTW, hate to tell you but your missus already knows. She's a regular on here and has been asking what's taking you so long.

C

If she does, then I'm a dead man walking :(
I did order the Milner kit first but it only came with the (I think they're called) hold down springs and cups, whereas I needed every spring involved with the handbrake. They'd either rusted away, been replaced with a different spring or simply not there. I've been using Simon Holton as he's been very helpful and given discounts on everything. The actuators I got from Milner as they were cheaper,
The labour costs alone have been over £700 and that's with doing most of the work myself. Some parts have been just too corroded or difficult to get to, for the equipment I have.
At least the mileage is fairly low (although saying that I think the front axle is going to need rebuilding soon and I have suspicions the head gasket has failed. Yay.
I will do my best to pop over when I stay back at work next week.

Well don't sweat on the front axle. I can help you with that. I can do them in my sleep now. Got to replace a CV myself. Grrr.

Chris

There's nothing space age about a 20 year old engine that it needs cooling with the dew from a badger's snout gather under a full moon in June by silken clad vestal virgins.

Chris
I want be their shepherd :icon-biggrin:.

Does that make them my concubines?

Gra.

Hi, I had the same problem with the rad, I went to the local radiator/ intercooler repair people and they remanufactured me one with the widest core that would fit in the space available, brass top and bottom tanks and all the conections and fittings in the right places, including the oil cooler jobby, it wasn't cheap but it is a lulu of a piece, they charged me £345, and took about a week. They had my old rad as a pattern of course and they destroyed it when they removed the oil cooler.
If anything it overcools a tad, so I'm in the process of finding and fitting a radiator blind, the original was rusted to oblivion. I'm in south Essex if you need the one I used, but i'm sure these people are everywhere, HGV mechanics normally use them so that might help you locate one local to you. Best Regards, Bill Westley

Last edited:
Odd you should mention a rad blind Bill. My mate popped round the other day with a box. Said he'd been in a garage somewhere seen a Toyota box and looked inside. Owner didn't want it. Guess what. Brand spanking new OME radiator blind! Couldnt' believe it.

Unfortunately no, I am not parting with it.

On the cooling, I am pretty sure that there are different ranges of thermostat available for the 80. It may be that you could just swap that and have it open at a higher temp.

Chris

I had Allisport make me up a 5 core ally rad, have had no overheating or over cooling issues, cost me £600 and for the peace of mind that comes with it is well worth it.
Expensive I know compared to a toyota or other alternative but I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

(On the cooling, I am pretty sure that there are different ranges of thermostat available for the 80. It may be that you could just swap that and have it open at a higher temp.)

Hi again, well I've just finished a saga of replacing the cylinder head, thermostat, water pump, et all, its running good, not using any oil, water, etc just running a tad under on the standard toyo gauge, the heater will roast half a pound of chestnuts in around 15 minutes, so, at the mo, it being winter an'nat I wont disturb it. Just a reminder for anyone with a water loss problem, I found micro holes in the pipes that feed the rear heater, so best they be checked. I disconnected mine and they await replacement, when the snow goes I think. My problems arose because a certain mechanic did a head oil leak problem on it, yep cured the oil leak ok, but, never used new bolts on the head or washers! hence gasket failure, water loss etc But now all is well, if it goes again I'm thinking cummings 6cyl turbo as fitted to Dodge Rams, they go quite well

Back