Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Raid Asterix

BlackWidow

Garage
As some of you know there are a few of us on here that are doing the Raid Astrix this year, it is a gentle ramble (if that is possible with a convoy of Landcruisers :lol: :lol: ) through France using nothing more than a trip meter and road books for navigation. In fact Lap tops, Tom Tom's etc are banned :D :D.

We will be doing about 135km a day through some beautiful country side, at our own pace with camping for four nights,a farmhouse and hotel for the other 2 nights.

Now then it has been hard as to what I will be taking and what I will need. We will not be to far off the beaten track but far enough I think that we may have to rely on our own skills and equipment if it goes wrong. This has lead me to have a list of wants greater than what I need or have.

Any way as we all know, each time we do a trip the list for the next one changes. You drop some stuff that was not needed for the last trip in favour for some of the wants that you had. So below I will list the things that I am going to take on this trip and preparation done to my truck and will update it as I go on the build up to the trip.

To start the list I will start with the truck.

Full service including all oils changed,
Tyres, BFG all terrains, including the spare x 1
Tools....Taking full tool kit (always do)
Electrics repair box (check contents and refill as required)
Fan belts.
Oils (Engine,Trans and diff)
Warning Triangle (Law in France)
Spare Bulbs (legal requirement in Europe)
Recovery equipment.
Shackles, 2x 6ton, 2x 4 ton
Winch Blanket
Snatch Block
Winch control
Short strap
Long strap
Endless strap.
Gloves.
CB (test) need new antenna and mount as my combination is the worst possible.
Trip Meter (Check and calibrate)
Exhaust (replace with stainless)
Small compressor. (check condition and operation)
GB sticker

As I said I will keep adding to this as I go. If anyone has suggestions or tips then please let me know as you always miss something and there is nothing like the experience of others for learning

Steve

Re: Raid Asrrix

I know you mentioned your CB, did you sort the volume problem out as we could hardly hear you last time?

One hi-vis vest in the car not the boot (Law in France)

Thats all I can think of thats not on your list for now.

Paul said:
I know you mentioned your CB, did you sort the volume problem out as we could hardly hear you last time?

I think I know what it is, as I have a gutter mount the cable comes in through the door and is getting squashed. I think I will have take a bravery pill and drill some holes in the roof and mount the aerial properly :D :D .

Steve

24Seven said:
One hi-vis vest in the car not the boot (Law in France)

Yep forgot to put that on the list, I actually always have one in the car as I go to Spain alot. I shall put it on there now.

Steve

Along with the hi-viz vest, I think we need headlight stickers to change the angle? I was going to get some from Halfwits as they do a set.

Oh - and I fixed your heading for you ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes you should fit light deflectors because in the UK they dip to the left, when driving on the other side of the road they dazzle on coming cars.

You can make your own with eletrical tape and on at least the 90 the area to cover is maked, saves a few quid :mrgreen:

Gary Stockton said:
Along with the hi-viz vest, I think we need headlight stickers to change the angle? I was going to get some from Halfwits as they do a set.

Oh - and I fixed your heading for you ;)

Halfwits for me too, I will also have a tin of lighter fuel for when we get back as the glue on theirs is an a*** to get off.

Spelling was never my strong point, Thanks for correcting that for me.

Steve

As was trying to avoid a roof rack of any sorts this time. Not sure if there will be enough room inside the truck but here goes trying.
It will mean packing a lot less gear.
Four of us have made a list so we don't all take the same stuff that just one maybe two between us all will be enough.
I know and understand it is good to have all your own gear onboard, but the amount of duplicated stuff we took to Morocco was over the top to say the least and never used.
So this time lots less and leaves more room for Beer.
2 High lift jacks (for the 110 boys)
2 4 ton Bottle jacks
2 Sets Waffle boards
2 Full tool kits. Each truck will have a basic on board.

Mal

Right got the CB sorted.

Got the
sirio_hi-power_inter_c.gif
and a Team and Team road com Set
team-roadcom-fs-sm.gif

Is anyone going to buy the Boab trip metre ?

Has anyone seen one yet ?

I am going to pop and see Boab on Tuesday 15th March see if they can show me one working.

I will report back on Wednesday if its to be the Boab trip M or the Brantz trip M.

Not sure if I like untested stuff at least we know the Brantz works !!!

Both Jon and I have ordered a BOAB trip meter. I beleive the first batch are in?

Cheers

SilverLady said:
Right got the CB sorted.

Got the
sirio_hi-power_inter_c.gif
and a Team and Team road com Set
team-roadcom-fs-sm.gif

Is anyone going to buy the Boab trip metre ?

Has anyone seen one yet ?

I am going to pop and see Boab on Tuesday 15th March see if they can show me one working.

I will report back on Wednesday if its to be the Boab trip M or the Brantz trip M.

Not sure if I like untested stuff at least we know the Brantz works !!!

Hows that aerial, is it ok? Have you tried it out yet?

Steve

Re: Raid Asterix trip metre

Not all fitted yet.
Went to Boab today and looked at a trip metre.

They look good

118h a 105mm wide and 15mm thick neat and easy to mount as well.

I had a quick demo and thet look quite easy to use, So I ordered 1 anyway.

Mal

French fuel prices:

Go here http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ and choose (I think) Region 03 and check your prices for diesel (or petrol for Jon!!) There's quite a variation, but average for diesel seems to be €1.20 / litre. For your costing ..... :D

Thanks for that Gary, Talking of fuel how much extra are you guys going to carry in jerry cans? I think 1 should be enough and I reckon that I will not use it.

Steve

Not sure I'm taking any extra. I'll see whatvChris says but if I can leave a jerry off the roof I'll be happy :D

Steve, just catching up with what you said about holes in the roof. If you run your coax down the back door, along the rubber seal you can cut a small slot in the pinch seal right at the bottom of the door, put the cable through and then put the rubber door seal back over. The rear door has enough space between the joint to run cables down it. You can mag mount the stick on the roof if you like. You get a good ground plane that way. But holes in bodywork not necessary. I just used stick on cable tidies to keep it neat between the roof and the sill.

Chris

Awesome thought that Chris. Will take a look at some aerials and mounts at Stafford as I still can not bring myself to drill a hole in the roof, I think your Idea is a definite go.

Do like the look and performance figures of Jon's aerial.

Steve

Well I'll see you there and if you want show you what I mean. I might even come in Lil Blue. Not too far for me.

Chris

Back