Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Raptor Re-Spray

Roger

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Just a basic post about using U-POL Raptor for a finish coat (polyurethane pick up bed lining) - might interest some of you.

I use my 80 mainly for trialing and off road play-days but I need it road worthy, so to that end I like to keep it looking relatively smart - not so easy as a lot of us know.

Usually, I respray it every year (with all the dents untouched :innocent: ) - this year I went for the raptor finish, in my humble opinion it looks great and already seems to be holding up well - plus as a girl friend put it, its just like mascara - it hides a lot of "problems"!
Its easy to apply and whilst it is a 2 pack (use proper filters) its less messy than normal spray paint (I think its just so heavy it falls on the car) - its also very forgiving with runs and over spray.
It took 7 x 1L bottles (2 kits) - I used the tintable version so the door jams etc looked right - just have your usual base coat mixed and apply 100ml to every 1L of raptor.

IMG-20150604-WA0016.jpg

Usual condition after a years trailing - a few knocks and scrapes :grin:

20160425_092028.jpg

A quick rub down with the random orbital and some 80 grit sheets - I dont bother knocking out dents any more

20160426_105721.jpg

Time spent masking up and apply etch primer on bare metals is time well spent
(a little tip around screen rubbers is to put thick string or wire under the rubbers to lift them up - allows the paint under)

cruiser.jpg

Touch Dry within the hour - although 7 days to fully cure (usable in 1 day - just don't abuse)

Personally I think it looks mint (if I do say so myself! :grinning: )

20160501_141213 (1).jpg

Out in the field it takes the abuse well and cleans up nicely.

i've been playing with the idae of raptor lining mine as well, what pressure did you use when spraying?

i've been playing with the idae of raptor lining mine as well, what pressure did you use when spraying?

45psi Chris - a good point though - its a lot easier on your compressor than normal painting as well - usually I use my petrol compressor for spraying so it can keep up with the air demand - I sprayed this with my little 50l SIP 3hp 240v compressor and it was fine - often having time to catch up and cut out during the spray.

I did buy an original U-Pol schutz gun though rather than risk it with the cheapy I have for undercoating.

Nice looking, even with these dents. I have LineX plans in future, but it cost a lot more than Raptor, so if it will hold for you well i will go to Raptor.

Back