Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rattle on right side engine: Turbo?

studentsoverlanding

Hi guys, here we are again, in desperate need of some advice :)

Today we went to a 4x4 shop to look for some second hand heavy duty rear springs (and found some!) and 2 new BF AT's. When driving back, we pulled away a bit enthusiastic from a roundabout, when there was a big puff of greyish smoke and a rattle which sounded like it was coming from the right hand side of the engine.

Our worries is that this is the turbo not being happy. Is this correct, and if so, what could it be and is it easy (and not to expensive) to fix?

Cheers!

Does it rattle all the time now? May be the downpipe flexy on the exhust. There is a bracket that bots to the bell housing.

I think i would take the intake pipe off the turbo and check for play though.

Karl

Hi Karl,

No it doesn't rattle all the time, only when you floor it. The flexy and exhaust is new (half a year old) and I am doubting if that could explain the smoke issues...We'll see if we can find anything on the turbo this saturday...

Cheers!

If its overfueling it will smoke.

Check turbo anyway,Is it black smoke when you floor it?

Karl

No it is more whitish/grey. It smells just like starting my old tractor on starter pilot, a very old and cold diesel engine..It is not just a bit of smoke, but smoke which makes the cars behind you need their foglights...and by rattle I mean BIG rattle, which makes you take your foot of the pedal faster then i-don't-know-what...

have you checked for leakage on the boost pipes?
i had this with my passat, was a leaking pipe causing a shed load smoke out the back!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe turbo then, Turbo seal may have gone with the colour of the smoke. Somebody put a post up not long ago regarding it.

I will try & find out if you can replace the gasket on the pump without having to reset the cam on the throttle spindle housing, In the mean time drop air feed pipe to the manifold & check for excessive oil, if ok drop off the down pipe and do the same with this, also check the turbine shaft is spinning freely with no bearing movement in any direction.

Hi people!

Have not checked turbo yet, but it seems we may have to look for another option. Just now I saw that the engine oil level is much to high (about 2-3 cm above max level) and i am pretty sure it wasn't when we filled the oil after doing BEB about 500 miles ago. Got the tip to check this as it might be the IP leaking diesel into the engine oil (via drive gears?) which would make more sense since we have been working on the IP...

This might also explain another issue we had, sometimes we had to handprime before it would start, like up to 16 times...

Anybody comments on how easy or not this is to fix? Does it involve IP timing resetting etc, or can I do it myself?

Cheers!

Back