Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rattling sound on acceleration

Rudolph

I've recently updated the sound system and have driven without a stereo a few days :shock:
It was then when I noticed a kind of rattling noise when accelerating and cornering. More noticeable on hard acc. not really there when normal acc. and not there at any steady speed. It seems to be coming from the driver's side front.
There are absolutely no bangs, clonks or any other noises when going over bumps.

Any ideas?

Is it worse at low revs/up hill, could just be a smidgin of clutch rattle if manual (where the daming spirings are handling the torque) or torque converter rattle if auto.
Could be brake pad ish (try gently applying the brake and see if it goes away, or is worse if you can).

Assuming - you cant make it happen stationary, it doesn't happen rolling along out of gear etc etc etc

Worth greesing all the UJ's if they haven't been done for a while.....

(Could be about a million other things too)

Dave

DaveWall said:
Is it worse at low revs/up hill, could just be a smidgin of clutch rattle if manual (where the daming spirings are handling the torque) or torque converter rattle if auto.
Could be brake pad ish (try gently applying the brake and see if it goes away, or is worse if you can).

Assuming - you cant make it happen stationary, it doesn't happen rolling along out of gear etc etc etc

Worth greesing all the UJ's if they haven't been done for a while.....

(Could be about a million other things too)

Dave

Thanks for that Dave.
It's an auto
It's actually worse on high revs, but only when accelerating hard. When I acc. normal there is no noise

no chance it could be the exhaust silencer ? or downpipe bracket?

Metalic or not?

And can you definately only make it happen when moving....

Test for engine mount related rattles with handbrake on well and gently trying to move (work the engine so it vibrates and twists a bit - ONLY GENTLY THOUGH) this will test the engine mounts....

Exhausty is 'usually' further back with the silencers but coule be up front....

It's a metal sort of rattle. when I rev the engine up at stand still it's all very smooth. Exhaust and egine mounts seem not an otion as it's a rather 'quick' rattle :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The problem is under load you do get vibration at different revs, and you start to hit all the resonant frequencies of bits and pieces around the vehicle - the Manufacturer usually tests all the bits pretty well - so first tip is to try and locate it a bit better if possible - rattles can sound like they are in one area but move your head or ride in the passenger side and they can be a completelty different location....

2nd start looking at anything you have modified/replaced etc

3rd have a crawl around all the major bits give them the once over (look for shiny bits where say a cable run is rattling on the chassis)

4th Turn the Stereo back up :)

Dave

Oh also forgot - remove all your 'stuff' and go for a drive check it's not your tom tom power lead rattling for example... LoL

I'm pretty sure it's nothing resonating as I can almost feel the rattle. I def comes from the front. I say it's at the right front, but the mrs (who can hear a mouse squeek from 10 miles) swears it's more centre front

Not sure, Mine being the 3.0 Diesel vibrates a fair bit anyway so probably not the best person to help.... must be some more auto v6 owners out there that may be able to try and find it....

does it do it with and without air con switched on (air con clutch)

Hi 2 u all , it might sound a bit stupid BUT, i had a rattle on my lc and sounded like 2 bits of metal hitting together like exhaust rattle,it had taken a hell of a long time to pin it down, after trying this that and the other to see what was rattling, you could hear it one day an not another ,it was the little hub cap right in the middle of the wheel, it was a bit loose , it had been checked a few times but found nothing, until hubby drove lc with most of his bod out the window an he said it was the hubcap, on checking again it was loose, but if you turned it quarter inch left it was tight, we found that while driving over a bump/drain/pothole it would loosen off, rattle for a while until you hit another bump and it would tighten up again, pulled hubcap off and sorted the the little metal teeth that catch the wheel when you fit it , and ta ra no more rattle, hope it helps you, if only everything was this easy to fix, good luck.

try it on, it would rattle in the off position if any

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the a/c. In that case it would also be audible at revving the engine at stand still.
I do see some sense in Niki's post, but I have aftermarket 18" wheels with firmly locked hub caps.

The mrs took the LC out today and reported that the only time she heard the 'rattle' was at reversing and turning at the same time :?

I suspect a CV joint. Will investigate this when the snow is gone. Not sure when that is, because there is loads more coming tonight :?

We've had quite a bit of snow overnight so I engaged the 50/50 4wd this morning. The rattling/knocking became somewhat worse on accelerating but even more so when cornering.

When turning left on full lock to park the car, the wheels almost locked up :o

I'm puzzled :?

Rudolph said:
so I engaged the 50/50 4wd this morning.
I presume this means locking the centre diff :?:

If your LC was an 80 with SFA, I would speculate that it was a worn CV causing the noise as locking the CD usually makes this symptom worse. But I know very little (ok, nothing :oops: ) about the subtleties of the 95 so I don't know whether the same thing could be the problem?

Not sure what you mean by "wheels almost locked up" but it's quite normal for the truck to understeer horribly with the CD locked. Wheels locking up normally relates to braking, which would have nothing to do with locking the CD...

Cheers,

Hi andrew,

Yes, I meant locking the CD.
With the wheel locking up I mean.....that the wheel/axle (I believe it only was the drivers side one) had trouble turning and felt like the brakes were being applied off and on

I had something very similar with my 95 auto and it turned out to be the silincer bracket, they're a little tricky to fit the pipe and silencer together and bolts need to be tightened equally, once done correctly it was fine !

Nick.

Back