Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Atenna Mounts

steverjuk

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi just wondering if anyone knows anyone in Europe doing these mounts, as I don't want to wait for them to ship from the USA. Suppose I could make them but be nice to have something already fabricated.

I made two. Did take a stupidly long time to fit right. Almost 1 afternoon to.make the 2 so the price isn't that bad that they sell for.
20190127_171423.jpg
20190127_171414.jpg
20190127_171407.jpg

Not seen any like that before, obviously bespoke for the 80 series? Even so that’s a lot of money for what they are IMO. I’d be tempted to make some from a piece of SS plate.

I am.going to mount a reverse light when I find something small enough

Mine actually use the original mount aswell unlike the ones posted. This area they look a bit rough so no photos

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am.going to mount a reverse light when I find something small enough
Have you tried swapping your existing reversing bulbs with decent LED ones? Mine have made an amazing difference to the point I no longer want to mount something like you’re suggesting. Pretty cheap, 5 minutes to fit and totally inconspicuous.

Not seen any like that before, obviously bespoke for the 80 series? Even so that’s a lot of money for what they are IMO. I’d be tempted to make some from a piece of SS plate.
Surely the ground plane on these must be horrible?

Have you tried swapping your existing reversing bulbs with decent LED ones? Mine have made an amazing difference to the point I no longer want to mount something like you’re suggesting. Pretty cheap, 5 minutes to fit and totally inconspicuous.

Yeah I did that at the same time and decided not to fit until I really need to.
Surely the ground plane on these must be horrible?

I am.no expert and not set my radio up yet. Happy yo take advice hear as no less then nothing on cb stuff.
I was working under the impression others fitted them.here so must be ok. Poor i know but all I have to go on

Yeah I did that at the same time and decided not to fit until I really need to.

I am.no expert and not set my radio up yet. Happy yo take advice hear as no less then nothing on cb stuff.
I was working under the impression others fitted them.here so must be ok. Poor i know but all I have to go on
I think Shayne’s thread titled something like ‘I know nothing about CB’ has some reasonable info and links. Yes, folks do fit them there it’s true and it’s not a bad place aesthetically but from avrafio point of view the best is drilled through the middle of the roof and there’s not many of us want to do that thank you very much. There’s info aplenty on the net but basics are the base must be electricallyvattached to the body of the vehicle OR a decent metal surface to form the poking down bit (as every antenna needs to be a dipole of sorts I.E one leg up, one leg down). You can mount it there and it will probably work close range only.

I made one the same for my camera. Just cut it out and welded it to the boot lid bump stop.

Surely if the body is connected to the chassis using metal bolts and you have continuity etc then electrically the entire body is the base. (I'm no rf expert as that stuff is black magic)

Design and performance of antennas is a fascinating subject. Books have been written about this one aspect of radio comms, by people well above my pay grade I might add!
In theory, mobile antennas shouldn’t work at all due to the obvious restrictions in size and lack of a “true” ground plane but they do, some much better than others but they are still very much a compromise compared to an ideally sited base station antenna. A good electrical ground of the mount to the vehicle body is a prerequisite. Many vhf/uhf and some hf antennas are designed with a radialless ground structure which means they don’t require radials round the base or indeed centre roof mounting to provide a “ground plane”. They usually have an impedance matching section (coil) in the base and work as off centre fed dipoles. Mounting any antenna on any vehicle is very much a suck it and see excercise. Realistically, the best you can hope for is a decent impedance match (low SWR), achievable at most mounting points on the vehicle, the radiation pattern and range being the most variable factor. I guess if your using CB for vehicle to vehicle comms in a relatively short convoy it’s not that big an issue.

If you can wait until the Overland Show I'll bring my SWR meter Stu and check it for you.

Was going to test then if no good add a earth strap.

The tracks near me are very over grown so wanted to keep out of the way. Most of the time you are all pretty close when on the lanes so not going for massive range.

Thanks Trev take with just in case. O have a offer to do.locally but I haven't managed to.get there yet

Back