Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear brake pads, confused!

ram

Hi need to change my rear brake pads on my 24v 96 gs.

What are reasoable pads to buy? been on the flebay and the price variations are really scarry to say the least.

ity's my second car so don't use it much but don't want to be reapting the job three months down the road.

is it worth getting the originals from toyo or going the generic route

any advice apprieciated

thanks in advance

ram

You know what, I think virtually ALL brake pads are rubbish nowadays. But agreed some are more useless than others. I bought the EBC ones and they seemed to be fine. I'd avoid the Milner ones as even by their own admission they last 5 mins but some people woud rather stick a cheap set in every few weeks than pay out for a good set.

Chris

I put EBC 'original quality' pads all round on mine from ebcbrakesdirect.com just after I got it and they are good. Not a fan of the green ones, have had a couple of sets and find them to be pretty rubbish at stopping despite being 'upgrade quality'.

I also end up trying out new stuff, and have tried nearly all the stuff out, from the cheapest on ebay to EBC stuff.

After all of it, I end up using genuine toyota pads, as they last a very very long, produce minimal brake dust and stopping is pretty much the same!

thanks lads

should i be looking to do anything else while i'm fighting with pads,it'll be first time i am attempting anything on the cruiser apart from oil/filter change,any pointers,do's and don'ts.

thanks

pointers - undo the bleed nipple on the caliper to push the pistons back, don't let the fluid push crap back into the master cylinder they sometimes get upset about that. I use a 'one man' bleeding kit which is a bit of pipe into a plastic container, pop it on the bleed nipple, with just enough brake fluid in the container to cover the end of the pipe, then when you push the pads back the fluid squirts into the bottle but this arrangement makes sure you don't suck any air in. Check the condition of the rubbers around the pistons, they go like paper when they get quite old and tear then moisture gets behind them and it's the beginning of the end for the pistons. You can get rebuild kits that contain new rubbers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would say that if all you have done is oil and filters then changing pads is no biggie and we're here to help, but if you spot other issues I'd ask before getting the hammer out. Brakes are pretty important things and stating the obvious, if you are inexperienced, it's not really as simple ad doing A, B and C. We don't want you upside down in a ditch.

Chris

Don't the pads from the 100series fit into the 80 series calipers ?
sure 100 series have Bigger pads = better stopping power

just a thought

Front pads only Rob.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for your concern chris,but i really want to do this,specially after buying my harfords pro socket set.

i also have my next door neighbor who despite being in his 80's always supervises me without fail

no but honestly i need to start doing this bit's and pieces on my own and like i said it's not my daily drive so i can take it easy
thanks.
ram

ha! ha! never saw that coming! you know what i mean

Back