Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff Howl Problem

Hope all turns out good for you buddy and have a good trip.

Latest update, drove the truck upto work yesterday and dropped it in for a road test first thing today. First off the mechanic thought it was the front but got back to the workshop and put it on the ramps. A quick look and it was rear diff so off it came.

Phoned them back at 4 for progress and spoke to the owner. He confirmed there is no damage to the diff but thinks they've found the problem, the bearing they fitted is slightly different to the old one which has a chamfered edge. They ordered a new Toyota bearing and should be fitted tomorrow. fingers crossed that solves the problem

Might have been a blessing in disguise as if it had gone on your trip its likely whoever you took it to would have ordered the wrong bearing again to replace it with , and i hope there will be no cost involved , it was their mistake after all . Fingers crossed its sorted for your departure date :handgestures-finge:

well they haven't mentioned any cost so far although tbh I'd be happy to give them a little for not missing the trip :)

If it were me given the circumstances i wouldn't expect to be charged but i would appreciate their honesty in admitting they fitted the wrong bearing to start with , so if no bill materialized i'd bung em 30 quid and say get yourselves a beer . Garages that admit mistakes are few and far between and when you find one it bodes well for the future to build a relationship with them .

So more progress today. Generally been on edge waiting for an update but a 4pm the phone rang. They swapped the bearing for the new one took the truck for a drive and the noise was still there :(. So back off with the diff and some more checks revealed that the pinion and crown weren't meshing correctly, fine off load but under load the mesh wasn't good indicating wear on the teeth. They had phoned around for replacement Toyota wanted £600 2nd hand was a bit cheaper but not much.

As luck would have it they found suitable parts in the spares bin all fitted and the noise is gone :D They seemed a little nervous about the cost on the phone but asked if £200 was ok? Too bloody right it was ok given the alternatives.

Truck now back ready for Morocco and I'm very happy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back