Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear diff question.

smokyjoe

After haveing the collorado for a couple off months i decided to try and sort out the axle weeping oil one of the previouse owners had tried to filler it but its still weeping :o
I am hopeing that welding up the hole and replaceing the oil with fresh would cure the terrible wineing drone, first i drained the diff off the most black treacle like substance ive ever set eyes on which smelt pretty over cooked :o
all i managed to get out was about 50mil so she was well and truelly dry,

now ive fixed the weeping back plate and filled it with 80/90 gear oi,l ive put in 2 and a half litres but its still not comeing out of the fill bung just how much oil does the diff hold and do you think mollyslip would help.

Its not an LSD by any chance is it? (not sure as not familiar with those models)

Won't need much more than that. You'll be close. Fill it up til it runs out. Give it a drive and when it's cool, top up if needs be. The oil is supposed to stay in the axles and is kept in with little retaining plates. If it's completely empty then these might need to fill up again meaning the the level might have dropped a little. I would run it for a bit then drop the oil and fill it again to flush the nasty stuff out. Moly slip might help. I'd wait till you'd run it, checked it and possibly flushed it. DO check your breather on the top of the diff. If it's clogged you might blow a seal. It's a daft little breather on the 90 and is prone to rotting off.

Chris

Chris said:
I would run it for a bit then drop the oil and fill it again to flush the nasty stuff out. Moly slip might help. Chris

yup that was the plan i thought that molslip would just quiten it down as thats what the bumf on the side of the tin said ;) never tried it before myself though.

Chris said:
DO check your breather on the top of the diff. If it's clogged you might blow a seal. It's a daft little breather on the 90 and is prone to rotting off.

Chris

yeh it looks in pretty poor nick can they be replaced?

if the diff is still noisey then i will look at replaceing the whole axle as that would be cheeper than rebuilding i would have thought, i have also managed to smash the diff lock acctuator off on a tree stump :lol:

Ooh. Maybe replacing the whole vehicle might be cheaper...

Hmm Locker going to cost you min of £300 if you get a used one and about £400 new. Rebuild? Well it's unlikely to be the main expensive parts that are the problem. They're quite tough. Bearings and other consumables are not too bad. See how it is now it's got some oil in it. Breather can be ordered, but it's as easy to just make something up. I did.

Chris

Back