Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear difflock - actuator motor works but lock will not engage

adrianr

Got a replacement rear locker from Karl (thanks again!)

Works fine, fitting went well.

Tried to engage it yesterday whilst out in the woods, and no amount of left or right turns would get it to engage, which prevented some of the more extreme things i wanted to do. I did a full circle on loose gravel clockwise and counter clockwise. I can hear the locker motor running so presume its more to do with what happens next inside the diff. light was still flashing and rear wheels were not locked.

Am planning on popping off the switch on the front of the diff that checks for the position of the actuator to see if we have any movement and the switch is faulty (presume 3 or 3 wheels off the ground for that test.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might be happening, or not happening, what i should also check for.

thanks all.

Don't know a lot about them Adrian but I know when I was on mine you just had to roll back and it dropped in.

i always leave the trucks in low with all tree lockers engaged when they are parked up to slow anyone done who may try and rob them.

Try undoing the 10mm head bolts and twist the locker itsself slightly re tighten and try again. That's about all the input or experience I have on them not engaging TBH.

Beat me to it Karl. They bind sometimes and just need a settle in.

Check the ball switch that detects it being locked because it is not a rare thing for them to fail and make you think the locker isn't working. It that's ok then how well did you clean up the mounting surface on the side of the diff? The locker doesn't have to sit much out of square to stop it working and sometimes when a crusty locker is removed some of it stays on the diff. If you can hear the motor you can't be far off having it working. You did put the bolt in that holds the rod to the locking fork? :whistle::lol:

Thanks john. I'll check that. And yes the bolt is in the rod. [emoji1]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Funnily enough, I had issues with my rear diff lock today. It took a bit of abuse to get it to engage but finally went in - much more easily going on a left hand turn than a right hand turn. When I fitted it, as John says, it took some gentle aligning (tapping with a hammer with the bolts lightly nipped up).

They need exercising too

Thanks all. I'll get on with the suggestions later or tomorrow and report back. Previous locker got a work out every week. Gave up the ghost at 20 years old.

Be careful if your going to hit with a hammer Adrian. I've found that hitting them is what can make the magnets come loose.

No need for hammers. Motor is moving. Most likely alignment issue or faulty switch I reckon. I'll be careful.

Take the actuator off and let it dangle, engage the lock then check to see if it's moved, if it doesn't move then you need to take it to bits as the rod has lost contact with the cog inside that turns.

I had mine in bits many times getting the thing set up right and having the rod sticking out enough. Think the rod should stick out about 65mm when it's not engaged.

If that still doesn't work the fork inside the diff might be seized but try the simple things first :)

Thanks all. Appears to be a dicky switch on the diff - thanks Jon. Felt sticky so i spent a while playing with it and squirting oil on it.

Seems ok now.

Back