Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear drop link extensions for anti roll bar

adrianr

HI all

Can anyone make a couple for me or point me towards some?

got a 2 inch ome lift. have removed the front arb which has made things nicer up front. want to loosen up the back a bit too.

Many thanks

I have been meaning to do this mod for a while. I will get around to it one day.

Paul

As in cut the little stubby thing in two and weld an extension in there? It would be nice to thread it and screw a sleeve on. I can't do LH threads though. I'd probably take some large tube and slip it over the joint and weld it on rather then just butt weld it.

Got a couple of spares in the garage (err I think) I'll dig them out an have a look if that is what you mean.

Chris

I hear that there are several sizes available from Toyota, don't know if they would work.

Interesting. I looked into buying some standard ones for GW when they looked a little worn. I needed oxygen when I went to Milner. Never mind Mr T. They were over £70 each!!! I figured then that if I ever needed some, I would cut the mount off and just weld a standard ARB wiggly bit off anything I could find.

Chris

PS I don't have the rear ones any more. So I can experiment on them for you Adrian. Sure it's possible to extend them though. What size is the outer shaft?

Hi Chris

Thank you

Actually it might be easier just to make a new longer bracket that hangs off the chassis me thinks? A refined version of a piece of suitable steel, drilled in correct places, pop one side off, refit then the other? Save messing about sleeving it etc? Or I have I missed some critical stress point?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll have to go and lie under the truck and look. I thought they were a rod, with a square shaped U stirrup on one and a and a wobble pin mounting thing at the other. If you weld too close to the wobble pin you'll melt something important probably.

I'll stick my head out the door in a bit

Chris

The droplink is as you describe - i was thinking of the metal plate that links it to the chassis - make that longer - its only got 3 holes in it?.... thus

photo.jpg

Oh THAT bit. Thought you wanted to make the link longer. You mean the plate! Hmm well you could, but make it quite strong as there are forces that go through that bit. Not massive, but you wouldn't want it to buckle.

The small bolts that hold it on do tend to snap, but you can get to them with a drill easy enough.

Chris

FYI
Julian V has a little extension joint made up for this, he fitted them to my rear ARB

Did a simlar thing on my bm and will be doing it on my truck this weekend. Cut the bar get a bit of pipe and weild it to length you want :thumbup:

Julian said:
FYI
Julian V has a little extension joint made up for this, he fitted them to my rear ARB

Magnificent - thanks - and thank you Chris for your help too.

I shall give JV a call next week.

No problem. Now that we are clear which bit you want longer. But for my money, I'd just cut the rod in half and stick a piece in the middle. But then I can.

Chris

More like a mouse hole. :violin:

C

Back