Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear shock removal

Zeusv8

Anybody got any tips on removing these? I've just realised the access is ridiculous and might force a hole cutting in the floor!!! Lol thanks

Thanks mate I'd just found it too! I'll try it without the holesaw first!

Hard to believe the FSM has no info on removing rear shocks!! Going to be a long day tomorrow,can't see how you are supposed to remove the ahc hoses from the top of the shock when you can barely get get your hand in!! 2" hole saw tomorrow :whistle:

Mr T probably drops the body shell into a rolling chassis. How easy is it to pull the body mount bolts and lever the tub up enough to gain access?

It can be done from memory they are 12mm nuts and then the shocks are 22mm. I would start spraying them with wd40 a few days before you plan on doing them and have a pipe wrench handy to stop the shocks from rotating.

If you get a ratchet 22mm with a flex head it makes life alot easier as you only get about 1/8th of a turn on each time.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-22MM-FLE ... B006T2UFQM

Can be got cheaper else where.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks lads for the help but how are you supposed to torque up the shock? Sure as hell won't get a T wrench in there!

You do get an open ended 22mm torque spanner that I guess Toyota would use but for DIY purposes just do it BFT (Bloody F....... Tight)

You should be able to guage how much force is required to remove the current nuts and go from there I would say.

I just used a flexi head ratchet spanner to first crack the nut and then to hold the nut still while I turned the shock by hand until it was undone :) Then the same but in reverse to do it back up again and once as tight as you could go turning the shock by hand I just gave it one last half turn with the flexi head spanner to finish :thumbup: It was easy :D

Ok cheers folks,round two tomorrow! Drained AHC fluid and it was the same colour as coca cola and about the same viscosity!!

Ive never looked under the 100 if im honest but i would have thought they would be the same as on the 80. At the top of the shock it is mounted on a bracket that then bolts onto the chasie with two 14mm bolts wizz them out with a air gun if you have one then take the bracket off after. Its quite quick and easy that way. That obviously is if they are the same on a 100.

Karl

I wish it was that easy mate,it's a right p.i.t.a to get at. A lot of guys on mud have drilled two holes in the floor to get at the top nut!! :think:

I Can understand it being hard as it would be on the 80 as well. It must be a different set up. Pics :thumbup:

Decided to go down the suspention route then? Good shout if you have.

Karl

Yeah new OME kit arriving tomorrow,had enough of arsing about trying to fix the AHC system!!

I can safely say that this job is the biggest PITA ever!! If you want to keep your sanity drill two holes in the floor and hole in each shock because until they invent spaghetti spanners and spaghetti arm extensions this is by far the easiest way!! I do realise that this way is frowned upon by the Amazon elite but Jesus Christ why put yourself through the misery of dragging your carcass around underneath trying to get a spanner somewhere you can barely get your fingers!! Two shocks,springs and rear sensor now removed,hydraulic hoses zip tied up to stop rattles! Dingding round three! :whistle:

Remember to remove the spare wheel :whistle:

An option to drilling a hole, is to undo the body-to-chassis-bolts and lift the body a bit. Not difficult, but a bit of work.

Zeusv8 said:
I can safely say that this job is the biggest PITA ever!! If you want to keep your sanity drill two holes in the floor and hole in each shock because until they invent spaghetti spanners and spaghetti arm extensions this is by far the easiest way!! I do realise that this way is frowned upon by the Amazon elite but Jesus Christ why put yourself through the misery of dragging your carcass around underneath trying to get a spanner somewhere you can barely get your fingers!! Two shocks,springs and rear sensor now removed,hydraulic hoses zip tied up to stop rattles! Dingding round three! :whistle:

Glad you got it sorted. It will be worth it im sure. Dont personally like the sound of drillin gholes in the body :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karl

Not there yet! Springs and stuff arrived and the springs are Fat! So off to buy fat spring compressors! :doh:

With a bit of handy trolley jack use on the other side of the axel you should be able to slide the springs straight in

Back