Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear spare wheel carrier

There are two steel reinforcing brackets that go inside. One is a gen Toyota part and you can get it, the other has to be made in your garage.

They are well capable of carrying the spare wheel. When parked up and the carrier open there isn't that much to worry about. When closed and driving, the weight isn't really carried on the C pillar at all.

What 'locks' it closed? Could I get the full assembly off of a Jap spec one being broken?

The carrier latches onto the lower tailgate. The ebay one usually comes with all of the hardware you need except the two reinforcing brackets Chris mentioned. I think the top bracket is welded in from the factory and some cutting is needed to get at one of the bolts on the bottom bracket iirc but otherwise a Jap spec one might work as a source but I've never done it that way.

Hi Matt - I have one of these that I have just taken off when I fitted a new bumper with a built in wheel carrier. It's less than a year old and I've also got the 2 reinforcing plates that's required. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Hey analog man,
can you take some pics of the plates ? So I have an idea how they look if I want to fabricate my own.
tnx
wout

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back