Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rearranged front indicators and lights

trev.w

Country Flag
england
Anyone else changed the front light arrangement to give the truck a more modern look, clear indicator lenses which I then swapped over to the sidelight and indicator to sidelights 2015-11-01 17.04.34.jpg

image.jpeg

Not it the best photo in respect of the subject, but I've gone for the Angel eye replacement units but elected not to use the 'side lights' as indicators.

Indicators are stock plus the ARB repeaters, but they could be changed for clear lenses at any time.

Personally, I'm old school and don't really like the everything clear approach, but that's simply a matter of preference.

on mine, dip is HID projectors, main is dip plus main HIDs with the option of one or two LED bars on the main live.

I have fitted the sidelights from the Canadian 80, so there is an amber side marker in them, I doubt the ITV (MOT) guys will be bothered by them.

regards

Dave

Attachments

• A1 lens.jpg
    A1 lens.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 152
I'm all for upgrading headlights etc for more useable light but I quite like the old fashioned, or should I say "retro" look of the OE indicator/sidelight arrangement on the 80 series. The rounded shape of the 80 series shows their age but they are what they are. Each to their own of course.

Just stick orange bulbs in. I don't think he has flashing white lights for indicators Frank. Like Clive I have the additional indicators in the ARB bar so I could turn the winkies into DRLs I guess. But I'd rather do that to the ones in the bar. I wonder if I can get plain lenses for those?

Where did you get the clear indicator lenses from? Might look smart with those clear but with orange lamps. That would be a bit of a facelift.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm all for upgrading headlights etc for more useable light but I quite like the old fashioned, or should I say "retro" look of the OE indicator/sidelight arrangement on the 80 series. The rounded shape of the 80 series shows their age but they are what they are. Each to their own of course.

It was a done on a whim, anything that looks too non original and the inspection guys over here might pounce, I thought as these are OE on the Canadian spec 80, I might get away with a couple of pictures of other 80's 'wearing' them if queried? If it passes this year I am going to fit the red rear side markers as well, slowly slowly. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

It was a done on a whim, anything that looks too non original and the inspection guys over here might pounce, I thought as these are OE on the Canadian spec 80, I might get away with a couple of pictures of other 80's 'wearing' them if queried? If it passes this year I am going to fit the red rear side markers as well, slowly slowly. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Going by the book the Canadian spec front side lights should fail the UK MOT as they must emit white only white light unless they are integral with headlights with yellow lenses. If the amber light emitted to the side is minimal I guess it could come down to how pedantic the tester is at the time. Caravans and large vans/trucks/trailers etc have side marker lights which show red to the rear and white to the front. Not sure how red only side marker lights would go down.

Hi guys , think I might confused a couple of you regarding the clear lens of the indicator and side repeaters, the bulbs in both of them are now orange,making them legal,and it is now only the clear lens on the front that has white led bulbs in which are now my side lights, got them off eBay, think they from China, cost about £60 after the import tax

They did have orange bulbs when they arrived Chris, but I swapped em round m8

I hear you TP and agree but, worth noting is the UK Discovery which has white sidelights in the headlamp unit and amber side markers in the indicator unit side by side, I suppose you could argue that the indicator and side marker on the Discovery could confuse another driver at night? The 80 with the sidelights and indicators so far apart I am hoping to jump that hurdle over here. Something that does not seem to have been mentioned is the 'E' marking requirement, all fixed lighting must have the 'E' marks to be legal in Europe, most of the lighting 'upgrades' I have seen do not have the marking and I guess we are again in the hands of the over zealous inspector?

I will not know if mine is going to go through with these lights until December, I have to sort the rear brakes out first, the handbrake balance was very near the mark at last years test, the latest gear they have there makes it harder for older vehicles to pass.

regards

Dave

Back