Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Recommend somewhere to camp in Cheshire

Jacob100

Supporter
Need to get something from Nantwich next weekend and looking for somewhere nice and quiet to park up for the night. Bonus points for water access.

good luck and enjoy this freedom while you can. maybe this might be helpful
the governments new law will make intentional” trespass “with vehicles involved” a criminal offence if the camp contains two or more vehicles on public or private land, the owners have asked them to leave, and the police consider that the camp is “causing or likely to cause significant disruption, damage or distress. The penalty will be seizure of vehicles and/or a 2.5k fine and/or three months in prison"

Don't think that law is aimed at overnight campers though.....

The hippies and drug dealers that invaded the ancient monument couple of years ago on a friends estate would hopefully fall under this law though ..... seemingly harmless but a nasty under current of drug dealing and selling hallucinogenic drugs made from roots etc..... some unsavoury characters also using them as cover.... took a month to get them to move on and many £sss

Don't think that law is aimed at overnight campers though.....
Tell it to the Judge.Have you ever tried to tell a copper he was wrong , that what you're doing is perfectly legal ? Good luck with that.
Seriously this law is a massive over reaction to the behaviour of a minority.Police & local authorities are among those who say it's unnecessary.Attacks on our freedom are often welcomed bu those who it will affect , the thinking being " I'm a decent law abiding citizen , this law is only for the scumbags " big mistake.

Regardless of what you think most of us here value the freedon to take off in our Landcruisers and maybe park up for the night without being hasseled .A loss of freedon for some will eventually have an effect for all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tell me about it, Higgy. I've gone from daydreaming about fields and waterways to thinking I'll be spending the weekend at Strangeways or Grisley Risley.

Not averse to paying for a site so any suggestions welcome.

There's always Premier Inn mate....... Get in before the Lockdown :lol:

Sorry Jacob i didn't mean to rain on your parade . :grin: Pubcampsites.com seems to have plenty to choose from or just search motorhome wild camping.It's not law yet so you should be ok.Good luck.

No worries. I've seen a few articles pop up about that new legislation but haven't paid too much attention. It all sounds very rash and draconian but I doubt that these measures will make any difference to responsible and sensible campers. Your options are so limited anyway on this overcrowded and overregulated island.

but I doubt that these measures will make any difference to responsible and sensible campers.
see my comments above.The rights and freedoms we have were fought for , not handed out by benign rulers who suddenly had an attack of conscience.

Your options are so limited anyway on this overcrowded and overregulated island.
this here.

its over regulated because its over crowded.

i feel the measures are needed because every man and his caravan are on a "staycation", i hate that word..
hopefully, when people can go abroad again, things can return to normal.

I was in Scotland yesterday on the bike and got talking to a local guy during a break at Clatteringshaws. He was saying the area up around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs was absolutely rammed with visitors. He was a mechanic and also remarked about the explosion in used van sales for sleeper conversions. I've also noticed in the last few months that the number of vans parked up for the night in areas of the Peak District is increasing, some even sporting wood burning stoves with a roof chimney. I tried to book a pitch at a campsite I've been going to every year since 2003 with the caravan on the banks of Loch Lomond but was told it was fully booked to September. I usually go twice a year around July and October just before the site closes which I prefer as there's barely anyone on site. If it looks like being full to near capacity I probably won't bother. We need to get people flying again!:laughing-rolling:

Clatteringshaws. Lovely.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 21.33.41.jpg

yes, we need to get people to fuc# off agai.. i mean flying again..

i hope its not ruined for good, scotland was the last small feeling of freedom and "wilderness" in the uk. i always wondered how long it will last, and this was before covid.

Clatteringshaws. Lovely.
thats it now. there will be 20 wobble boxes, 17 V dubs, half a dozen "roof and gutter" sign written transits and 3000 poo bags around that loch...

We're doing the NC500 in Willys Jeeps late September.....unsure what kind of welcome we'll get after they've had a summer of crowded roads and tourists....
As others have said...not enough space in this country and what little is left they seem determined to build on.....
Supplementary Question.....
Where can you move to now that isn't being overdeveloped or turned into a country side theme park ....

You can now stay overnight at the Visitir Centre's car park in you're motorhome or camper van, no tents or sleeping in cars. The local guy I was talking to also mentioned that if you wander off into the bushes at many beauty spots you have to watch where you tread! I've never truly wild camped for any length of time but I believe etiquette dictates you should at least bury what you leave behind!

There are still large remote areas of Scotland devoid of humanoid activity but an awful lot of it is on estates privately owned. There's a "right to roam" agreement in Scottish law but I'm not sure what it's limitations are.

hmm...

me and the mrs have spent nearly a month in scotland in the 80 with a RTT on a number of occasions. wild camping, camp fire every night, entire beaches to ourselves, herd of deer surrounding us at dusk..

she mentioned going this year, i said forget it, im spending this year hiding in the workshop until (hopefully) things get back to normal.

Back