Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Red anti freeze!

Rich Sims

Garage
Since rebuilding my engine I've started using red anti freeze but it's started leaking out of everywhere, even joints that have never been apart before and seems very corrosive!

is it really that much better and really worth the hassle?

Or or can I please go back to the blue stuff..lol :crazy:

The requirement, at least for the 80 series diesels, is for a "good brand of ethylene glycol based coolant" which obviously includes the blue stuff. AFAIK the only differences are the red stuff is silicate free and will last longer. I wouldn't have an issue personally using a blue EG based coolant.

It has a reagent in it too that changes colour if you get combustion gases entering the coolant. Not sure that would be the only symptom!
I have a truck nearly 20 years old. I put good oil in but use motor factor best grade coolant not stuff from the dealer
Not sure that it's aggressive in any way though

Thanks guys,

where it has leaked out its left permernant marks on all alloy that it touches and I guess it must be a lot thinner.

I think it probably warrants more investigation. Swapping the anti freeze shouldn't (well to my knowledge) stop a leak in the cooling system. If anything I think it would be just masking a bigger problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely all antifreeze is something like 90% water and 10% active ingredient , did you forget to dilute it ?

Back