Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removal of old AHC kit after swap out

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Hay

So I've swapped out my AHC and am slowly working my way through removal all the old components.

Pump and reservoir removed without issue (will list it shortly)
Came to the items on the chassis rail and unsurprisingly the fixing are tighter than a nuns twat and a nightmare to get at with the kit I currently have.

How have others done it? What kit should I buy or do I just put the angle grinder to it. If so how do you get at the fasteners on top of the chassis rail.

A lot of the bolts that go into captive nuts on the chassis will start to undo then as you get to the thread that has been inside the chassis and will now be rusty just shear off ;-) .

Unless you want to remove the valve bodies for the spheres intact, remove the bolts that you can access on the side then use the biggest bar that you have and lever out from the bottom, that will break it off leaving the top lug and the bolt in place. It’s a bit brutal but it works! If you haven’t got a bar big enough a cold chisel should do the trick but use a piece of steel to protect the chassis.
You will also find there’s a bolt on the top of the chassis rail supporting the accumulator, if you remove the side bolts first you can lever it out of the way enough to cut through the top bracket. You can always have a go at the top bolts once everything is out of the way but after fighting with a couple of mine I decided to leave them in, it’s a lot of pain for no gain!
And without wishing to state the obvious, there’s a load fluid in there, it does get messy!

Left all the spheres in place and removed as much pipeline as possible from bulkhead to the rear above as Geoff says not worth the time and effort

Thanks all. Don't have a torch for heat, so brute force it will be.

I want to remove them to fit sliders. Don't mind getting mucky.

I will see it as stress relief.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hay

So I've swapped out my AHC and am slowly working my way through removal all the old components.

Pump and reservoir removed without issue (will list it shortly)
Came to the items on the chassis rail and unsurprisingly the fixing are tighter than a nuns twat and a nightmare to get at with the kit I currently have.

How have others done it? What kit should I buy or do I just put the angle grinder to it. If so how do you get at the fasteners on top of the chassis rail.
Just wondering did you sell the ahc pump. I may need one for my LC if yours is available.

Have you managed to get rid of the light display on the dash ? I was struggling until someone on here gave me a tip about mine.

Unplug/remove the AHC ECU, It's under the dash just to the left of steering column.

Andy

Perk 423 If you haven’t done it already you can get rid of the lights on the dash by removing a fuse by one of the footwell kick panels ( there may be 2, it’s a few years since I did mine!)
Toyota also do an insert to replace the AHC switch on the centre console, ideal for car park cash! I can dig out the part no if you want it.

Perk 423 If you haven’t done it already you can get rid of the lights on the dash by removing a fuse by one of the footwell kick panels ( there may be 2, it’s a few years since I did mine!)
Toyota also do an insert to replace the AHC switch on the centre console, ideal for car park cash! I can dig out the part no if you want it.

I did manage it eventually. It seems that pulling the fuses doesnt work every time.

I tried pulling them all with no success, then asked on here for advice.

Disconnecting the AHC ECU cured the problem though, I also sold that on fleabay.

If you have the part number for the little tray I would appreciate it thanks.

How did you like the feel of the suspension compared to the AHC ? I much prefer mine now, a lot more road feel through it.

Andy

Andy, the part no for the insert is T58839-60040, description is “cover console”, £17 +vat when I bought mine.
I tend to keep the boot space fairly empty most of the time and the 3rd row seats are out as well, once I removed the AHC I found the rear end a bit harsh so I went for some softer rear shocks and it’s spot on now. I set it up with the front end slightly lower, so with some weight in the back and a twin axle van on the hook it sits nice and level and the ride is great.
My AHC was getting to the stage where it wanted some work so that’s why I decided to change, plus I like the simplicity of springs and shocks.
I don’t know what make you decided on but I went with Ironman from West Coast.

KildareMicki have got the AHC pump if you are looking for one it is off a 2001 Amazon it has collected dust for quite a while it had done under a 100 k when I removed it if you are interested i can check if the thing still works

Andy, the part no for the insert is T58839-60040, description is “cover console”, £17 +vat when I bought mine.
I tend to keep the boot space fairly empty most of the time and the 3rd row seats are out as well, once I removed the AHC I found the rear end a bit harsh so I went for some softer rear shocks and it’s spot on now. I set it up with the front end slightly lower, so with some weight in the back and a twin axle van on the hook it sits nice and level and the ride is great.
My AHC was getting to the stage where it wanted some work so that’s why I decided to change, plus I like the simplicity of springs and shocks.
I don’t know what make you decided on but I went with Ironman from West Coast.

Thanks for part number Geoff I'll look into that. I went for a Pedders kit from Roughtrax.

About 6 months after I bought the vehicle one of the rear shocks burst.

After looking at the rest of the pipework and the nipples on the accumulators (almost corroded away)! I decided that it was never going to be any easy fix without a very expensive fight, so went for the conversion gear. The ride is fine for me very happy with it.

Interesting remark about your twin axle van, thats exactly what we are looking for when they let us out again. Wife is beginning to suffer with arthritis badly in her hands so pulling and tugging at bunks to get the bed set up is difficult.

So, big van and fixed bed is on the menu.

Andy

I’ve had the Ironman kit on since 2016 Andy and no problems so far, and like you I didn’t fancy doing battle with all the corroded fittings once I started work on it.
We’ve had twin axles for years and they’re a great tow, but I’m 6ft 4 so kept away from the fixed beds as they were always fitted in between two walls and far too short! Then they brought out the transverse slide out beds - brilliant! they take up less space during the day and I can hang my feet over the end!
Just looking forward to getting away again now!
Geoff

I’ve had the Ironman kit on since 2016 Andy and no problems so far, and like you I didn’t fancy doing battle with all the corroded fittings once I started work on it.
We’ve had twin axles for years and they’re a great tow, but I’m 6ft 4 so kept away from the fixed beds as they were always fitted in between two walls and far too short! Then they brought out the transverse slide out beds - brilliant! they take up less space during the day and I can hang my feet over the end!
Just looking forward to getting away again now!
Geoff

Yes, you and me both.

I've got it all prepared though if they lock us down again. I've got the tree branch selected, the rope put aside , and the stool ready !!!!!!!!! lol

Andy

Good evening chaps, my first post on here with the recent acquisition of 4.2 Landcruiser Amazon 1998 vintage. Yes it has a few issues but they are repairable, unlike that Discovery III that I have just got shut of, (good riddance). Been working on Amazon today removing the diesel fuel tank and AHC Accumalators plus pipes and all the dross. It has had a recent Peddars Suspension kit fitted.

My question is:- ... Is there a link between the AHC and the Traction Control / ABS ? I ask because after watching some Aussie chaps swap the suspension on You Tube, one of the questions related to, 'the traction control inadvertently coming on' ?

We have just replaced the AHC on my 100 series 2006 vintage with Milner 4x4 kit. And all fine after 2 day's work, including front top and bottom wishbones. Milners replacements come will all new bushes and bolts and top and bottom ball joints, hence going to the trouble of complete replacement, rather than just bushes. I still haven't managed to switch off the dash lights. Milners gave me a pdf of instructions, which said the AHC ECU (suspension module) was behind the passenger footwell kick strip. It isn't on mine, which is a standard UK model, not import. Haynes manual says AHC ECU is behind the drivers dash, between the steering column and centre console. Haven't explored yet, but there is a very good youtube video showing how to get to it on a Lexus 470, which I understand is exactly (!) the same as a 100 series. Link at
. Electrics is at end of video after shocks and torsion bar replacement.

Any thoughts??????

Ride is great after shocks and torsion bar replacement, by the way!

Back