Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reproduction front wings are on the way.

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I removed my left front wing the other day to fit the new antenna mast and in doing so realised just how bad it was.

Found out autodoc list “klokkerholm” wings, but they are out of stock. Couldn’t find them anywhere else other than a company in Ireland.

So I emailed klokkerholm and the reply I got today said that they are going to start producing them again in October. They don’t sell to individuals so they are going to let me know of uk distributors.

Hopefully roughly the same price as on autodoc at £250-300….

Strange how this goes, I recently did the same thing, the replacement mast would not go all the way in, removing the wing I found the antenna base had rotted away, a new one from @chapel gate at a great price was sent over. The wings both inner and outer were in fantastic condition, the inner wings had slight corrosion around a couple of the captive nuts but nothing worth worrying about, a little sanding and some anti corrosion paint, similar to Hammerite but more specifically aimed at rust and the outer wing (perfect condition) went back on. at 28 years old in December not bad at all.

Regards

Dave

Very lucky there Dave.

I had to put a small repair into the front of the inner wing. The rest got wire wheeled, rust converter, red oxide then black wax.

The bottom section needs replaced. I have a very clean one on the breaker I plan on unpicking the spot-welds then fabricating it, and mirroring it for the other side. Isn’t a complex shape and 9/10 they are rotten there where mud and shite collects.

Attachments

• 4E15EF33-C7A4-4908-A991-8A6F9530676E.jpeg
    4E15EF33-C7A4-4908-A991-8A6F9530676E.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 1AA63BC7-044E-4A86-BEF0-84B21B23956B.jpeg
    1AA63BC7-044E-4A86-BEF0-84B21B23956B.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 5EAB70BA-50FA-46CF-B475-A5EB5F0D4B49.jpeg
    5EAB70BA-50FA-46CF-B475-A5EB5F0D4B49.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 45
  • BFD24A33-D265-4C87-BFBB-4D88658A1368.jpeg
    BFD24A33-D265-4C87-BFBB-4D88658A1368.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 48
  • FA107B1B-C92E-4056-B4FB-8C47BA41F42B.jpeg
    FA107B1B-C92E-4056-B4FB-8C47BA41F42B.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 072246FC-EACB-4714-9ABC-9193928DEA13.jpeg
    072246FC-EACB-4714-9ABC-9193928DEA13.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 47
  • A398D9FC-846F-449D-8425-9FF16A9E07C3.jpeg
    A398D9FC-846F-449D-8425-9FF16A9E07C3.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 47
I removed my left front wing the other day to fit the new antenna mast and in doing so realised just how bad it was.

Found out autodoc list “klokkerholm” wings, but they are out of stock. Couldn’t find them anywhere else other than a company in Ireland.

So I emailed klokkerholm and the reply I got today said that they are going to start producing them again in October. They don’t sell to individuals so they are going to let me know of uk distributors.

Hopefully roughly the same price as on autodoc at £250-300….

I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts on these when you get them. I want to start acquiring panels to sort my 80. I’ll be needing new front inner and outer wings.

When I did the rear right hand arch with the help of @Rodger I had purchased arches that were a universal fit, tough as you like but pre cut so you could follow the arch shape and bend as you feel was needed. Very good and with the por paste mentioned in another post and then painted with the por paint I think they will be there for a long time. The rear left hand arch will need some work as well however, getting to the inside look to be difficult with the fuel filler and the inner area for the jack storage and other 'bits' in the way, it will have to be done when Roger comes over again, I won't tell him that when he is here Boxing Day to bring his overalls. :D

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Update:

Klokkerholm won’t sell to individual customers, however they had Mark at MC Trading limited, who are suppliers of repair panels for classic cars etc in Kent, email me to say that I can purchase from them once they get stock in October.

With these being replica panels there will probably be some fitment issues, as with all non original panels. You may have to bend the odd edge here and there, maybe elongate a bolt hole or two, and body file/ repair the odd imperfection .

And going by pictures I don’t think they have the bolt holes for the arches. But overall a much better option than paying over the odds for semi ok second hand panels.

Price: £159.95 each including vat and shipping. Which I think is very reasonable considering “good” second hand wings are around £250 if and when available.

I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts on these when you get them. I want to start acquiring panels to sort my 80. I’ll be needing new front inner and outer wings.
I’ll happily be a Guinea pig, I’ve been a panel beater for the last 12 years and have experience manipulating replica wings to fit many times.

If they are THAT BAD then I recon you could use them as repair sections and cut/ weld in the areas that usually rust out behind the arch. That’s in the extreme case the shut lines to bonnet and door are miles out, which I doubt they will be tbh.

Thanks for the update. That is a good price if the panels can be made to work. It’s even a bonus for me to be missing the holes for the arches! I’ll be following with interest

these are still available from toyota fellas.

hopefully these will turn out good, and they will make other panels such as the inner front wings which are NLA.

these are still available from toyota fellas.

hopefully these will turn out good, and they will make other panels such as the inner front wings which are NLA.

What’s the retail for genuine ones? I found one site with them at £500 each. They would be a better option,

What’s the retail for genuine ones? I found one site with them at £500 each. They would be a better option,
I agree, but many will factor in the amount of time they intend to keep the vehicle, or at least keep it with OE parts for as long as possible if they intend to pay out that kind of money.

Regards

Dave

I agree, but many will factor in the amount of time they intend to keep the vehicle, or at least keep it with OE parts for as long as possible if they intend to pay out that kind of money.

Regards

Dave

There will be no difference between reproduction and genuine wings in terms of how long they will last.

If both are properly prepared with stonechip/ sealer, paint and cavity wax once fitted, they will last forever.

Unless klokkerholm uses cheap nasty steel which will dissolve over time (highly unlikely) then it will all come down to preparation and conservation in regards to how long they will last.

Yes oem will come with bolt holes and relatively straight edges (however they’ve been in storage for over 20 years now) but at over double the cost, isn’t feasible for some people.

Another option, and I no idea of price, Gary Breaker 80 does fully repaired and primed wings. A local repair panel beater does them for Gary and they require a degree of finishing.

Yes I’ve heard he charges £250 for repaired wings.

But I’ve also heard story’s of “repaired” panels not being upto much.

I acquired a pair of the " repaired " wings with a Cruiser I bought and they look very good.

I think the last 4 I bought from Toyota ( 2 for me 2 for Chris) worked out at £688/ pair. One pair is on the grey Cruiser.

It'll be interesting to see the quality compared with OEM. I looked at some aftermarket sills for a 60 some years ago and they were way off OEM ones both in shape and in thickness.

I have a 100 series and notice all the crap gets trapped at the bottom of the front wheel arch causing corrosion. Is there are cure or a way to keeping this area clear and clean ? I’ve tried flushing it out with the door open and a small jet of water…nearly getting the carpet wet in the process
i could do with a passenger wing also. The last repair only lasted 2 years

There will be no difference between reproduction and genuine wings in terms of how long they will last.

If both are properly prepared with stonechip/ sealer, paint and cavity wax once fitted, they will last forever.

Unless klokkerholm uses cheap nasty steel which will dissolve over time (highly unlikely) then it will all come down to preparation and conservation in regards to how long they will last.

Yes oem will come with bolt holes and relatively straight edges (however they’ve been in storage for over 20 years now) but at over double the cost, isn’t feasible for some people.

I have found repair panels tend to be made of thinner steel, and they may well 'do the job', Derek. But for some people (no longer me) who are for want of a better word 'purists' tend to only look for OE replacement parts, I was doing the same thing until I ended up in hospital and throwing money at OE equipment was no longer a sensible option.

If the product is half the price then I would certainly go for it (depending on the part of course), but I am wondering how many people who want all OE equipment and have purchased a nice 80 as an investment, there is so much rubbish out there now it is not funny.

Regards

Dave

Back