Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Retro fitting a genuine wheel carrier?

Analogue man

Hi, I'm new on here and I'm planning on fitting a factory style swing out wheel carrier to my 1990 import 80. I believe the rear corner needs to be reinforced to handle the weight. Has anyone retro fitted one of these? I would be grateful for any info. Thanks

I always thought they were standard fit on the imports, are you sure yours is an import ?, does it have the wing mirror on the nearside wing, does it have a fridge ?

I always thought they were standard fit on the imports, are you sure yours is an import ?, does it have the wing mirror on the nearside wing, does it have a fridge ?

Strangely it hasn't got the usual import equipment but log book says import and it still has the Japanese labels all over it

It may already have the reinforcement inside the wing if it is an import.

Are the rearmost side windows fixed or sliding? Fixed is a typical way to note an import, having said that they are often changed to sliding? Also does it have rear air con and folding mirrors, I have seen some imports with those extras as opposed to the normal rear wheel carrier, and fridge.

I would pull the panels off and see if there is any extra reinforcing,

regards

Dave

It has fixed rear windows and folding mirrors and only a centre diff lock, it was also orriginaly on 15' steel wheels but no fridge or rear air con. Its an odd combination but I think it's because it's an early one.
Ill pull a panel off today and see if there is any reinforcement already fitted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, I've been out and removed the back trim panel today and there is nothing to reinforce the body where the mounts for a wheel carrier would be. Anyone tell me what this reinforcing panel looks like? Are they obtainable ? Can they be fabricated? Are they removable from another vehicle or are they an integral part of an import shell? I've seen carriers fitted without using the reinforcement and the mounts pull through the wing!

I had a chance to buy just the factory wheel carrier off a guy from Scotland earlier this year. He just took it off and didn't open the inside panel to retrieve the captive nut reinforcing part. Its a heavy pressed curved pieces (upper and lower ) with the captive nuts on it. When the fixings are removed these parts become loose and drop down. Decided to pass on the purchase was gutted it wasnt complete. . I figured it would be difficult to get these parts.. hope this helps :thumbdown:

The bottom part is welded to the frame and dont come out. Not sure about the upper mount. You can make a plate the goes inside the wing. Jon w made some with 6mm steel i think. I have made some in 2mm with gussets in them but never used.
Good luck its not that hard of a job but need some fabrication skills. Make sure you get the outside plates from the top and bottom tailgates that are a catch and support.

Attachments

• inner.jpg
    inner.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 309
Thanks guys, this has been my first post on this site and you've all been super helpful!!!!! I'm impressed.
You've answered my question, at least I know it's possible to retro fit ome now. Next job is finding one.

I had a carrier which I sold to JW. It came with one of the brackets which was genuine. It had the OEM parts number sticker on it so you can get it. The other mount is, though, as already mentioned not a separate part.

Analogue Man
You may find this solves your query: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/34776-oem-style-wheel-carrier-install
Although this is for a 100 series the fitting is very similar for an 80 I'm sure. I used this guide when fitting mine.
The bottom bracket is Toyota OEM part number (around 60 quid if I recall) and for the top one I laid fibre glass matting around the inside of the body shell and built up to about 4-5 mil. The bottom one takes most of the weight and the body shell is double skinned and reinforced on the corner anyway.

Thanks Ken, more good info!

I've been looking around to see what's available and came across a factory style copy of a genuine carrier by direct 4x4 on eBay for £209 delivered. Sounds cheap, has anyone used on of these or got any info on one? Quality, strength, fit etc.
Anyone got any other recommendations, I don't mind a bit of fabrication although I don't want to build one from scratch!

That is the one I bought for my 100 and they do line up well with the factory bracket, at the bottom anyway.
Problems to date, the locking mechanism is a bit iffy and there is no way to latch it open. keeps running away from you on RH slopes and that breaks the plastic cover or banging into the tailgate on LH slopes. Haven't figured out how to sort that yet, but I'm sure I will with some sort of drop in rod.You will need a number plate holder/light solution also. I bought one from Karl and mounted on the spare wheel itself with 2 LED number plate lights.

DSC_0015.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks again Ken. I didn't realise it had no locking mechanism, I think I'll keep looking for a genuine toyota one initially, someone must have one.
As far as lights and number plate, I've already sourced an import bottom tailgate in my colour!

No luck finding a genuine wheel carrier so I've bitten the bullet and ordered an AFN rear bumper and twin swing out carriers. The euro rate is really good at the moment.

Who did you buy it off and what is the AFN part number, I've had a brief look but not seen any have you gt a link?

West Coast Off Road sell the AFN products, I bought my AFN winch bumper from them. I've not actually seen an 80 rear bumper (exept for photos) but they have one on their demo hilux. They are every bit as good as ARB in my opinin but a little less money. There is a picture on the west coast site.

Last edited:
Back