Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Right. That's it. I have officially had enough and now I'm ...

Not thought of that. I could build a grill in underneath for my toast.

Just looking forward to getting the top on and having a crack at something. Might be an aux fuel tank the way we're going.

Looks great Chris, I built a similar version out of 8x4 wood sections.....as I cant weld for sh*t it seems!.

Well, no wonder if you have been trying to weld wood!

Just looking forward to getting the top on and having a crack at something. Might be an aux fuel tank the way we're going.

Still not much luck with that?!

Ongoing Gary. Got someone very kindly helping me but it's not as easy as popping to Halfords and just picking one up. Hopefully should be able to line one up soon.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
WARNING. WARNING.
Clive look away now

You have been warned. CLIVE.

5,4,3,2 ........

OK, has he gone?

Well, an end to this thread I think. Went to collect the top with the trailer today. They were very apologetic and let me have a rummage on the cheap. Got some really good booty. Anyway. No drama loading up and managed to get the plate out at the other end. I went end over end with it to the workshop and leant it up against the table. Thought I might lift and slide. Hah, not a chance. Couldn't budge it. So out with the engine hoist again and some chain.

IMG_0633.JPG

It was warped, so I piled loads of steel onto the easy end and welded it in place. Now my overhead welding is not the best but I managed to pull off a couple of corkers this time. Quite pleased. Then I stacked steel on the other end. Then more steel. And some more. Finally, a 100 series gearbox was loaded up and the top met the frame. Zapped that and set about organising myself.

IMG_0635.jpg

Moved loads of steel and things like the MMA welder, vacuum, cut off saw etc underneath

IMG_0634.jpg

My garage is never going to look any bigger but by crikey, it's getting better organised.

IMG_0636.JPG

OK someone tell Clive he can come out now.

Oh yes. Tidying all the boxes of nuts and bolts on the window sill is next, before someone very politely points that out.

Well done dude. I did wonder/worry how you were going to move that plate on your tod!!! Looking good :cool:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

If you light all the stoves you own underneath it, you'd be able to have one hell of a fry-up on it :lol:

Our fitting 'n' turning teacher in high school used to do that. While we were busy making our project on the lathe, he had a corner of a steel bench which he clamped the oxy-acetylene torch under it and good his bacon and egg. Smell was agonising

Chris - could you not get cast iron parts? Might have been sturdier than that :think:

Spot on, give yourself a pat on the back :icon-biggrin:

Is that not gonna make a right royal racket when your hammering at something on it , i would be tempted to lay the plate on plywood for a bit of sound damping .

Hopefully Shayne, hopefully. As a drummer, I can guarantee it will be pretty rock and roll.

Followed the design of a thousand years of welding bench design. Not seen a quiet one yet. I'll put plywood on the hammer instead. No?

Know what you're saying, but it's not as loud as it looks. The plate is pulled down and welded to the frame so it doesn't ring. With all the other crap accumulating already, it's quite well deadened.

you will soon fill that empty space :)

great bench! that wont be moving in a hurry

WARNING. WARNING.
Clive look away now

You have been warned. CLIVE.

5,4,3,2 ........

Thanks for the warning Chris, thread stopped at No.27 for me :hand:

But they tell me it's a crackin' bench :whistle:well done that man!

Nice work Chris, great bench. Like you say you could just do with a nice big English made vice now. :thumbup:

Nice work Chris, great bench. Like you say you could just do with a nice big English made vice now. :thumbup:

I bought one of those Chinese things, looked great on the shelf and when I mounted it on my bench.

First use, the threaded cast carrier (the bit that takes all the load) simply snapped in half like a walnut shell. Totally useless piece of scrap. :icon-rolleyes:

A real 9" vice costs a fortune new, so I'm scouting the second-hand shops...

I've got a huge Record vice, one of the really old industrial ones that they used to make and sell before they got taken over by Irwin and production shifted to China and the quality dropped.

Had it for 15 years now and its taken a hell of a lot of abuse in the time I've had it. :clap:

Theres always plenty on ebay so I'm sure if Chris keeps an eye out he will pick up a bargain sooner or later. The other good place is carboot sales if you can be arsed to spend hours wondering round looking at tat.

Its worth getting one with the quick release lever as it saves winding it in and out all the time, just make sure it works as invariably thats the bit that always stuffs up if the vice has been abused a bit too much. :thumbup:

Back