Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Right. That's it. I have officially had enough and now I'm ...

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Going to stop working on the floor, bin, freezer, bonnet, miller and build a bloomin' work bench.

Ordered a wadge of steel, cut to size. Well why faff about when the steel yard does it in seconds and accurately too. (more about that in a second) And they deliver.

P1010347.JPG

So, took the day off and the lorry arrived with my morning toast. it's not as big as I'd like but it's what I can fit in. It's nice and high though so I'm not bending all the time.

All 50x50x3 box. With a 10mm plate top cut to 1500x1000. What's that you say? Looks more like 1500x 1195. Well blow me, I think you're right. Well spotted.

P1010348.JPG

Lorry returned, took offending plate away. I shall pick up the correctly cut bit in the morning. Damn but it's heavy.

Really pleased with how square I got it all. So much easier when it comes cut and all you do is clamp and glue.

P1010349.JPGP1010350.JPG

Shoved back in the g'rage for now. Lots of space underneath, will shelve part of it for clamps, rods, tools and the like and the rest will store off cuts and whatever. Room underneath for all the bits I bloody trip over all the time.

P1010351.JPG

Obviously from now on, everything I make will be perfect. :icon-rolleyes:

That's gonna plenty sturdy dude :cool:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Looks good. It' just needs a bottle opener... Fridge, on a slide maybe..., and a biltong box would round it off nicely.

... Oh and a rack for rum.

Can you make mine in red?

Very nice. I've got a bit of old kitchen work top with some shelving units underneath and a stack of concrete blocks lol, they're my adjustable and mobile bench :lol:

Now a slider for the parts washer would be sexy, Ryan. Rum? Ugh. One drink I really don't understand. Might put a zyder barrel under there.

Red, no sorry. Blue OK?

That's a bit OTT just to rest you mug of tea and hobnobs. isn't it? :icon-wink:

:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:icon-cool: Just what i want to do in my Garage. this year i will build one. and you Sir have just spurred me on.

That looks, er how shall I put this? STURDY, could you do a bird table like that Chris? we get some big pidgeons down here. :whistle:

Well it needs to be sturdy. I'm going to be hammerin' bangin' and bashin' on it. Fed up to the back teeth with things moving, bending, breaking, falling over etc. I will be able to whack stuff good style on here. I was after a vice on ebay yesterday. Proper big English made vice. Was at £30.00 and I thought, ooh yes, let's have that. Ended over £100. I had my dad's old vice but it really had gone too far. So I bought a MM Chinese HD one. It's crap. Heavy Duty my a***.

Going to struggle with the top tomorrow though, I think.

Going to struggle with the top tomorrow though, I think.

I have a 3mm 2400x1200 sheet lying around that was a PITA to shift when it was delivered. I wasn't here and the guy wasn't happy having to get it out of his van himself. I hate to think how much trouble a 1500x1000x10mm sheet'll be - somewhere around 150kg? I like your style though - won't be going anywhere when it's in place.

We dropped it off the truck onto a tyre then walked it end over end to the garage. I shall find the centre and weld an eye on there so I can lift it with the engine hoist I think. Then wheel it in and plop it on. It will have some warp in it I know, so I shall put it dished side up and clamp the edges down and weld them. Nice thing is the front edge is the original finish and it's basically rounded. So I won't be slashing myself to bits on it. It's high enough to get a stool under so I can sit when I learn to TIG weld.

If you are anything like me you will need more benches as you will cover it in stuff, well that what I do

Can't. Not this time. Next I shall have to work on the kitchen table. I have to make changes. I think that this is a good start. Just have to stay tidy.

Yeah, OK I'm f****d. I know it.

If you are anything like me you will need more benches as you will cover it in stuff, well that what I do
Aint that the truth.
There's still Disco 2 bits on mine and I haven't had one for almost a year.
Oh, and a hedge trimmer gearbox that still haven't got around to finishing...

You sure you're not building a packing system there, CJ ;)

Looks good - have fun!

Gary! Thought you'd left the country. Welcome back. Nice to have you here. Yep, that's my packing system. Should just slip into the back of my 80. Barely notice the weight.

I'm envious of all you b@rstewards with fancy garages, machines, benches and anything more than a socket set, a drill and a box of tools.:icon-evil:

I used to to have a double garage and a load of useful stuff, but sadly no more. Now it's a wooden shed and a wooden workbench, bugger all use for hammering away at truck stuff, so I want to hear no more about it Chris, OK? :hand:

Best not be defecting to a green oval then Clive. You really would be up Poop Stasse in that case. Ikea tool kit and some old pliers that were ya dad's.

Hey if you don't like it, don't read it. Ha ha

I'm only jealous mate, good luck to you. You'll have a fine bench when you're done and a good electrical connection for your welding with that nice steel plate.

If you light all the stoves you own underneath it, you'd be able to have one hell of a fry-up on it :lol:

Back