Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

post what you like now as am working on next year trips to Romania

oh fix the drone, there was a small wire broken

Brill Mike, maybe there'll be some "follow me" footage of Romania 2016 :lol:

Question:

Did anyone get any video or photos of the garbage truck recovery, just down the hill from my place? I would quite like to see something, it if there's any record of it.:icon-biggrin:

I've just had a look at my Romania pictures and while I'm sure I took some pictures I can't find them in the Romania file, sorry Clive. :cry:

I mentioned it was a shame nobody had a camera at the time and Wayne whipped out his phone , Helen has sent him a message via facebook so we might get something later .

OK Chas thanks for looking and Shayne/Helen for your efforts.

Not mightily important, but we had a bit of useful fun didn't we? The guy is still flashing his headlamps at me and giving me the thumbs-up when we pass each other on the road :lol:

Nice when you get things like that and those involved remember it for years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
clive help the local dustcart
xVf_HFJZujs">xVf_HFJZujs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
clive getting there

job done or so we thought

job done or so we thought

clive move off but the dustcart was still stuck so who going to have a go next

all that power under the black beast but needed the body weight to do the job

still trying

still at it

clive came back to finish the job

Last edited:
We all got dirty and Clive gets the beer :wtf: I knew it was a forlorn hope before i started but Clive had gone , knowing that lorry was fully loaded and recognizing a much heavier 80 couldn't move it without the aid of a winch i decided against risking lockers because if a little extra traction wasn't going to do it a little more wouldn't either . All worth it for the friendly waves we got every time we passed there for the rest of our time in Romania :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice one. Good to get your teeth into something that needed a good pull. Tricky with it being a side turning but lucky that pole was there (and held against the forces anchored that high up). No wonder he flashes you!! [emoji4][emoji122]

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, it was a team effort, that's for sure.

The high level winch point was unweighting the front wheels too much, so we dropped the chain to the bottom of the post and passed it under the steel fence panel. It was the winch that did all the work. Truth is, both the winch and the garbage truck were pulling me sideways towards a ditch.

We got him out eventually though, that was the main thing.

(I can't get the first vid to run either)

Thanks guys!

I got it to run and I use tapatalk. Who's Mike?

It's times like that when snatch blocks come in handy.

Is that an ARB snatch block or one of the identical ones without the ARB stamp that doubles the price?

Last edited:
I got it to run and I use tapatalk. Whose Mike?

It's times like that when snatch blocks come in handy.

Is that an ARB snatch block or one of the identical ones without the ARB stamp that doubles the price?

Yes Rich, it's an ARB block, not cheap but it's very simple to use and of course effective. There's not much competition here for non-branded "identical" equipment, sadly.

Mike is ratrace BTW

i was the one who started this mad idea for a trip to Romania

and it was well worth the trip to meet Clive and his family

Yes, sorry RR, I think I had a bit of brain fade on the last post. I had linked 'Mike' with 'ratrace' in my one remaining functioning brain cell a while back but I think I was all excited by dustcart unbogging and lost the plot completely!

Last edited:
i was the one who started this mad idea for a trip to Romania and it was well worth the trip to meet Clive and his family

Very kind of you to say that Mike :oops:

(the cheque's in the post mate!)

Yes, sorry RR, I think I had a bit of brain fade on the last post. I had linked 'Mike' with 'ratrace' in my one remaining functioning brain cell a while back but I think I was all excited by dustcart unbogging and lost the plot completely!

It's not often there's a chance to help anyone on my hill, as I'm only there at weekends. I once helped a guy to move an old scrap transit parked on a grass area, and it hadn't been moved for umpteen years and had "grown in" quite a bit. The guy was starting the construction of an extension to his house, the transit was in the way and he couldn't shift it with his Renault. Of course the 80 pulled it out with ease.

It would have been interesting how the truck would have performed pulling the dustcart out had it been dry and clean asphalt, instead of wet and muddy as it was. I had no grip whatsoever on the ATs, with the treads full of mud before I started from the muddy asphalt. The winch is nothing special, but geared back with the snatch block, the pulling power is amazing.

That reminds me, it's time I treated the winch it to a new line :lol:

It was a great idea Mike and i don't think i ever thanked you for it so cheers mate :thumbup: dreading next years package holiday now i will probably spend a fortnight wishing the hours away so i can get home and pack for a proper holiday in Romania !

I did wonder about pulling it backwards but it looked like there was no way to get cruisers (and I think two or more together might have made it look easy) round the back of it, then once unbogged, get it towed forwards past the mud.

On balance I couldn't see a better way of doing it than what was done, especially with the limited forward room, buildings, fences and ditch. Not straightforward at all if you pardon the pun!

It was a great idea Mike and i don't think i ever thanked you for it so cheers mate :thumbup: dreading next years package holiday now i will probably spend a fortnight wishing the hours away so i can get home and pack for a proper holiday in Romania !

I would love to do it next year (I may have already said this) but Lynn isn't struck on camping, the AO show at Stratford kind of put paid to that.

I need a 'little house on the prairie' with annexe for a complete heated bathroom I think! Or a Tentipee for £50 and that ain't gonna happen!!

Back