Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

I recently bought a President Johnson II CB (good but not cheap) http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1505 it has a front facing speaker so the sounds aren't blocked like other radios that have them at the rear. I also splashed out on a new Pioneer stereo unit http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-avh-x7700bt-car-stereo both single DIN (The CB may not have been exactly DIN size but it fitted OK) but the stereo has a pop-up screen. Connects to my iPod and also has hands free phone connection.
:oops: I must tidy up those cables.

20150522_094833.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought a President Johnson II CB (good but not cheap) http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1505 it has a front facing speaker so the sounds aren't blocked like other radios that have them at the rear. I also splashed out on a new Pioneer stereo unit http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-avh-x7700bt-car-stereo both single DIN (The CB may not have been exactly DIN size but it fitted OK) but the stereo has a pop-up screen. Connects to my iPod and also has hands free phone connections.:oops: I must tidy up those cables.

I like that pop up screen Chas, didn't know they were available...

I also like the dash top remote unit for the sub-machine gun, it's subtle to say the least :lol:

On that note, camera mounts are a pain on dashboards, nobody seems to make a reliable universal mounting for heavier equipment. Maybe my new friends RAM can help out there... At a price, of course.

That camera mount is obviously home made, I made and drilled the bracket first then offered it up to the dash and when I drilled through the dash trim for the bolts I was so lucky, there were two holes in the interior metal of the dash that were EXACTLY the right distance apart for the holes already drilled in the bracket.:dance: Not knowing there would be holes inside the dash was why I had pre-drilled the bracket

Have you got definite dates yet, if they fit in I could be interested in coming along if that was OK.

We are all booked Lyn , Spirit of Britain at 7.35am on the 15th of August see page 28 of this thread

Hi Lyn, we are departing on the Dover to Calais ferry Sat Aug 15 07:35:00, so just 80 days to go,:dance: if you click on the link after my sig line you will see the remaining days to departure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You beat me to it Shayne.

Have you got definite dates yet, if they fit in I could be interested in coming along if that was OK.

For me, the more the merrier :lol:

I appreciate that the visit to my place is only a small part of the overall trip to Romania and return, but IMO the more trucks involved, the better it will be for all.

I must remind you all that accommodation will be very limited at our house. Chas has a firm booking for one of the two rooms available, but at a push we can give up our room if needs must. There's room for your trucks, so if you have an RTT or trailer, you'll be fine. For tent campers, level ground is limited, but we'll find somewhere for your tents.

We still have a plan to take possession of our neighbour's house which is not being used at present, so there may be more rooms available nearer the date.

It would be useful if we could start receiving firm attendance confirmations, although it still may be too early for such a commitment, for some.

Have you got a twin room avail for me and Wayne?

If not will be a tent job for us two

Last edited:
Have you got a twin room avail for me and Wayne? If not will be a tent job for us two

Yep, we can reserve the second (and last) available room, it's not so big but it has twin beds (currently bolted together as a double) but we can split them if you prefer.

Of the two rooms (Chas has bagged one of them) one has a double bed and the other has the twin-singles. So you can fight over them for suitability, I'll just sit back and have a beer until the dust settles :lol:

Whatever you want to sort out Clive will suit me. :icon-cool:

double bed with my mate NO

Twin beds i can live with

or, a bit basic but will do

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ro/mar...dcid=1;checkin=2015-08-18;checkout=2015-08-27

Hotel Mara

The choice is yours RR, but the bed splits, promise! You'll be away from the banter in Sinaia, but I'm sure the "Mara" is better appointed than "Casa Clive" :lol:

Theres a motel/pensione place much closer to us on the outskirts of Comarnic, it might not be so bad. I've only had a beer there so don't know about the rooms, but I can check it out for you this weekend if you want...

Sinaia is a good 30 minutes away from our place (traffic permitting).

Let me know...

Of the two rooms (Chas has bagged one of them) one has a double bed and the other has the twin-singles. So you can fight over them for suitability, I'll just sit back and have a beer until the dust settles :lol:

:eusa-naughty: no i will sit back and have a beer while you put the pots and pans on so Helen and i can have a shower Clive :icon-wink: :lol:

:eusa-naughty: no i will sit back and have a beer while you put the pots and pans on so Helen and i can have a shower Clive :icon-wink: :lol:

Aha Shayne, but we have launched ourselves into the 21st century my friend, we have gas central heating that works, and we have hot water on tap, what about that then?

I was only teasing about the pans on the stove... :lol:

What what we don't have though, is any AC, and it may still be a little warm when you come at the end of August. Might try to get something rigged up AC style, we'll see.

I'm disappointed that we haven't progressed with the extra rooms in time for the visit, sadly, not enough spare cash in the till for that. :cry: Still, it was only 5 years ago we started the extension... :icon-rolleyes: :whistle:

Time for a pic of the house methinks.... Taken from the very bottom of the garden on a not so sunny day...

image.jpg

A bit closer...

image.jpg

It it needs a coat of varnish, anybody good with a brush?

Beautiful house and i would be happy to live in a shack in that setting .

Varnish :shock: are you serious :? there must be something better ?

Last edited:
Just a couple of questions, is the trip more overland or is there going to be some serious off-roading, and I read that RR has a passenger who looks after LR, do you mean Land Rovers? The reason for the questions is I have a dilemma in that I would prefer to take the LC 150 series but I also have the Discovery 2 which is better prepared for pure off-road stuff but not as reliable as the LC which is stock std with the original tyres, so would the choice of vehicle can only be made if I know what to expect.
As for the Discovery it runs well, I'm often back and fore to Bergerac and pulling up to 2t behind it with no issues.
If some of you guys are not looking to do anything too scratchy or damaging then the LC it is.

RR drives a modified Disco , Chas a modified 80 and me a modified swb lc 90 . Clive has a modified 80 as well if that helps . To be honest i don't know what to expect , we are all keen to get off road while respecting the fact that its a long way home if we bust something . RR and Clive can better advise you .

Last edited:
Back