Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

roof tents and awnings

Just dusting off this recent thread - which I have to say is a damn good one. If and I stress IF I went for a hardshell RT sleeping cabin, where is the best place to go and see them for real? And the best place to source one? They are hideously expensive I know, but selling my Terrain tent would be part of that funding. I don't need two. I like the fabric ones actually. I think they are better for camping. But for dashing pulling up, sleeping and dashing off again, the hard shell does have some clear advantages. Truth is I don't think that there is a perfect answer. Both are a compromise. I have never put anything else on the roof other than the tent to be honest so a hard top wouldn't be a problem. With a full rack and a soft top, half the rack is just being wasted. But it's there if I need it. If I stayed with the soft top, I might consider a wind deflector to try and push the air up and over as well as rain etc which I find does work its way in there sometimes. Third option is a ground tent, but after years of sleeping on the ground and moving recently to sleeping at height, I have to say being off the ground is so much better. When camping at ground level now, I have a bed too. But that's another thing to pack. With the tent, you don't need the extra cot.

The air cell under material stuff sounds like a good addition to both types.

I love my Maggi (uses all the roof rack though) which I got from BOAB http://www.boab.biz/ can't remember the chaps name but he was very helpful. They have tents on display there so easy to view, not on vehicles just on the floor. I've been thinking of one of those under mattress jobbies, not cheap though. :think:

i really like the speed of the hard top but not the fact the rain can go straight in onto your bedding. plus the wind up on is to short for me. my howling moon tourer is good. cant wait for next summer to get out witg it again. i was shocked how hot it got in there.
stu

i really like the speed of the hard top but not the fact the rain can go straight in onto your bedding.
surprised-021.gif
plus the wind up on is to short for me. stu
I had a wind-up before I got the hydraulic one and never had any rain coming inside either when erected or driving, the top shell overlaps the bottom so stops rain entering, maybe your one wasn't clamped right down?

Too short, how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and it's enough for me, I reckon a 6'3" person would be OK, any taller I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
sorry what i mean was as you have the door open to get in if the rain was coming from a certain direction you could get very wet. with a fox wing as well would make it harder to park out of the rain.
i think i am 6'2"ish not to sure but the mag i tried i was touching top and bottom with out streaching out.
stu

Ah! I see, I thought you meant a leak of some sort.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
no dodnt get that far. i do a alot of surfing so we are away in bad storms alot. our first night in the howling moon was on topof a cliff with about 50 mph gusts. it managed to break both guy lines but the front hood stayed where it was meant to. pretty shocked really.
stu

where is the best place to go and see them for real? And the best place to source one?
Maybe you know someone who has one and would let you have a look at theirs? You can fit an awning to a Maggiolina, goes on/off quite easy / quick. There are some makes that have a bit of cover over the door, James something or other that Devon 4x4 sell? The hardshells are a bit harder to get in and out of than a folder and might involve playing twister to do so with multiple occupancy :lol: They are not quite as spacious as a folder, unless you got a medium/wide extra long, that would be pretty spacious, but standard size is spacious enough for 1 and very very convenient.

Jon, I think that if this was a solo vehicle it would only front seats and a hardshell in a heartbeat. But there is always the threat that the current wife might change her mind one day and come along. The thought of playing Toilet Twister at 03.00 doesn't appeal. But then she has said she's only coming if I put a full bathroom in there too. Errr.....

Jon, I think that if this was a solo vehicle it would only front seats and a hardshell in a heartbeat. But there is always the threat that the current wife might change her mind one day and come along. The thought of playing Toilet Twister at 03.00 doesn't appeal. But then she has said she's only coming if I put a full bathroom in there too. Errr.....
Hard shell for stop and go solo trips, ground tent for longer stay / accompanied trips? The hard shells are pretty easy to get on and off so you can still pile stuff on the rack for ground tent trips and they are not as fragile once off the truck and being stored. Stick it round the side on its side, raised off the ground a bit, tarp over it to keep the worst of the weather off, be fine like that it is designed to live outside after all.

Chris, happy to meet up if you'd like to have a look at my RTT. Not too far from you.

Just dusting off this recent thread - which I have to say is a damn good one. If and I stress IF I went for a hardshell RT sleeping cabin, where is the best place to go and see them for real? And the best place to source one? They are hideously expensive I know, but selling my Terrain tent would be part of that funding. I don't need two. I like the fabric ones actually. I think they are better for camping. But for dashing pulling up, sleeping and dashing off again, the hard shell does have some clear advantages. Truth is I don't think that there is a perfect answer. Both are a compromise. I have never put anything else on the roof other than the tent to be honest so a hard top wouldn't be a problem. With a full rack and a soft top, half the rack is just being wasted. But it's there if I need it. If I stayed with the soft top, I might consider a wind deflector to try and push the air up and over as well as rain etc which I find does work its way in there sometimes. Third option is a ground tent, but after years of sleeping on the ground and moving recently to sleeping at height, I have to say being off the ground is so much better. When camping at ground level now, I have a bed too. But that's another thing to pack. With the tent, you don't need the extra cot.

The air cell under material stuff sounds like a good addition to both types.

Thanks Reinhard, very kind. I was really looking for a day out with the Missus - something to get here in the 'Ooh that's quite nice' mood. If there are several, I can make it seem like it was her choice.

Shhh, don't tell anyone though

Never said WHICH Christmas

This is my James baroud Chris , had it 8 months , tad expensive like

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cheers Mark. I have the same awning but from Terrain. You can get sides for that too. Looked at the ARB one at the show recently. Nice but silly money. For what is basically a box that is.
I looked at the JB pop ups the other day.A TAD expensive? Hmm, yes. Looked nice, but that would pay for a lot of hotels.

I like the aerodynamics of the hard shell ones and the weather resistence when closed. They are easy to put up, yes, but I've done a side by side set up with my RTT and frankly there was nothing in it. If it was just me and all I wanted was a sleeping shelter, I'd go with one. But the RTT has more room, certainly more head room and gives good shelter over the rear door. But so does a Fox wing with a pop up. I like the porch effect, being able to put your shoes on, on the ladder, under cover, is good. The current wife has stated very clearly she is not coming down a ladder arse first with everyone watching. Oooh get over yourself I said. That went down well.

Lol , we had canvas rtt but as we found in a windy Saharan desert we didn't get much sleep with flapping fabric ,also the whole putting up and taking down every day did my tits in this new one can deploy and be packed away in seconds (handy when weathers not too clever ) !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back